Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Oriental short hair
16-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #21

Re: OSH kitten peeing on bed - any thoughts

Hi and thanks Mags for the instructions...

I'm proud to announce that I was able to follow them and ....POST some pics!!!

I will not be picking up the second baby till October 25th... but I did have some pics the breeder sent me so I posted some as well.

Will add more as soon as he gets home..

Anna

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna
Hi and thanks Mags for the instructions...

I'm proud to announce that I was able to follow them and ....POST some pics!!!

I will not be picking up the second baby till October 25th... but I did have some pics the breeder sent me so I posted some as well.

Will add more as soon as he gets home..
Anna
Well done Anna, I'm pleased you were able to post your pics..

26-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #23

Hello,

Went to pick up Cúchulainn yesterday and brought him home. The poor love is super friendly and cuddly but was in a sorry state. He had to travel quite a bit to get to my house and had peed and pooped in the carrier box. It was so bad I had to give hime a bath as soon as we walked in the door... which is probably why he peed on the living room floor a while later (Oh God, I hope I didn't get two cats that pee outside of the box!!)

Unfortunately, and contrary to my foolish expectations ... Leeloo was far from happy to have a new playmate. She's been hissing and yowling at him and running away to hide as soon as she hears or sees him. She hisses at me too after I touch the other cat.... What a disappointment!!
Cúchulainn is very friendly and does not seem fazed out by this behaviour, he just runs around, goes to people to get petted, and ignores her when she hisses.

I'm keeping them separated when I'm not at home, have given both of them a little Bach's rescue remedy (Feliway hasn't arrived yet), doubled the feeding dishes and water bowls, and the litter trays.... but I'm not sure how to proceed at this point. If I continue to keep them separated, Leeloo will never get used to him... and I'm worried that if she keeps hiding, she will not eat or drink enough.

I have to go away this weekend...(an emergency that came up) and asked my sister who lives next door to keep an eye on the kitties but I'm not sure whether to keep the new cat confined to his room and leave Leeloo have the rest of the house ... or to leave both of them loose in the house...

Suggestions please!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #24

Hi Anna - back with another baby and another problem eh?
I wouldn't worry about the hissing. They will sort themselves out very quickly. I'm in a bit of a rush or I would post more .... but have a look at this thread
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...frames +smell
to get an idea of 'smell transfer' which might help.
I'm sure they'll settle very soon
I'd personally not separate them for the weekend, unless their spats are unsettling to their minder.
Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
26-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #25

A friend of mine recently bought a kitten from having already got one of my babies. The older cat was 10 months old and the kitten just 13 weeks. The new kitten was fine very much like Cúchulainn unfortunately Gucci reacted like Leeloo. Gucci would hiss and spit at Merlin but Merlin just ignored her and carried on playing and being friendly. Because there was no actual fighting my friend left them together. Slowly Gucci realised that all her hissing and spitting was getting her nowhere as Merlin continued to ignore it. Gucci then began to follow Merlin round and sniff him and as long as Merlin didn't look at her she was fine. Next stage was when Gucci initiated play with Merlin and since then they have been the best of friends. Gucci even sits at the bottom of the stairs and cries for Merlin to come down and play. This all took a period of about 4-5 days. I think if they had kept them apart it would have delayed the getting to know each other process.

Good Luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
26-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #26

I agree with DiM and Kay - I've just been through this with Bubbles and Fizz.

Best thing to do is just let them get used to each other so don't separate them. If anything, when you are out is the best time for them to get to know each other as there won't be any jealousy over you.

You will get hissing and growling and occasionally paws flailing but Leeloo is just letting you know she's not happy at this turn of events, but eventually their scents will mingle and she will forget she was an only cat.

Since Cuch is being a good boy and ignoring her antics, she will settle down much faster, especially when she realises nothing has changed except she has someone to play with.

Don't be too worried by Leeloo hissing at you, Bubbles did this and even smacked me and now she's fine with me and Fizz.

26-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #27

Thanks for all the replies... I feel much better...

It's just that I was so sure that she would be happy to have a playmate... the higher the expectations... the harder the fall.

On top of that, I already have to play switcharoos between the cat and my boyfriend's jack russels when he is visiting... (cat in a locked room while the dogs are in the house... dogs outside or in the bathroom while the cat has the run of the house...etc) If I have to find another room to prevent the 2 cats from being together... I'll just go totally crazy

I just received my Feliway at lunch time today so I'll keep the Feliway plugged in and the cats together for the weekend and hope that there won't have been too many "accidents" by the time I get back....

I will keep you guys posted.

Wish you all a great weekend.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
26-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #28

Hi Anna welcome to catsey.
I use tescos paper based cat litter which seems to be very good and soft as well.
hope the problem is sorted out soon
sally
ps hope the weekednd goes well adn you come back to friends!

28-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #29

Hello,
Am back after the weekend and things seem a whole lot better... not quite friends yet but Leeloo can now stay in the same room as Cúchulainn and does not hiss at him constantly
This is a vast improvement !!! Thanks for suggesting to me to leave them be over the weekend, without separating them.... It was the right move !!!!

Thanks a bunch

Anna

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
28-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #30

Glad things are getting better. They will be the best of friends before the end of the week I bet. Leeloo will forget herself and suddenly play with Cúchulainn and that will be that. That's what happened with Gucci and Merlin and they have never looked back.

Did you have a nice weekend?