Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
12-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #11

Re: Bernard isn't settling in the new house

Where are you getting these ideas DM!?!?!?! A raw onion????? Won't I spend 2 days in tears then!?!?!?

That might make Bernard pack his bags totally!!

Seriously, thanks for the advice tho guys. I do hope that he settles soon. I need the sleep!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
12-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #12

Charlie I think you could do with some rescue remedy in your drink too . Good luck with the house slut thing

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #13

Lots of good advice already given to you Charlie, hopefully it's just the newness and strangeness of the house that has disorientated him for a while....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #14

All of the suggestions make sense to me! I've only moved once in my life as an adult and had no problems with my Siamese...he was jumpy and nervous, but went around smelling the furniture, etc. which had the "old home"smell and his own scent, and soon settled down. Do let us know how he'\'s adjusting, poor boy! (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
12-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #15

I would leave an item of your worn clothing with him when you are not in the house so he can take comfort from it, as it smells of you. Place it where he might usually rest in the house like his bed or a favourite chair....

Catsey Veteran

13-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #16

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Last night was no better unfortunately - he cried incessently and then poo'd in the bath again

This morning when I was looking for the Rescue Remedy I found my bottle of Organic Valerian Liquid, which is meant to calm and relax cats. I held the pippette bit out to him and he had a really good sniff, then tried to rub it round his gums and then licked a drop off the end!! I'm going to give him a couple more drops before bed tonight and see if that helps him through the night.

He was also rubbing around one of the packing boxes this morning, so he's trying to put his scent on things.

http://secure.dorwest.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VAL

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #17

Hope Bernard won't take much longer to settle CB. Will you be at home quite a bit this weekend? That might help him.
How old is he?

Catsey Veteran

13-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Hope Bernard won't take much longer to settle CB. Will you be at home quite a bit this weekend? That might help him.
How old is he?
Yes, I will be.................hopefully catching up on some sleep!! I hope that will help him.

He's about 7/8 years old we think. I only got him last August and he never made this much fuss when he first came to live with me in the old house I'm just not sure what's got into him - it's so out of character.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #19

Do you think there may have been a tom in the house before? There's a smell there which is threatening to Bernard but our noses can't pick it up? Have you ever used a plug-in or gel air freshener in the old house? If so you could try to get the same one for this house? Or maybe just go round the place with a can of 'Oust', which i find the best of those things. Or open a Neutradol gel-pot?

I only asked his age because of the current thread on cat Alzheimers. He seems too young for that. I'd still keep the possibility of some sort of illness at the back of my mind though. (hope not)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #20

Sorry things were no better with Bernard last night Charlie........ I wonder if this link to "Advice on moving house with cats" is any help to you?

http://www.helpiammoving.com/moving_...oving_cats.php

There is a lot of DM's helpful advice mentioned there too