Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

26-10-2005, 12:27 AM   #11

Re: To Jab or Not To Jab?

Emm, i realize that this will not help, but i'm sorry to hear of your cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-10-2005, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Pretty Kitty, are you my original vet in disguise? Pretty much what she said
Wish I was a vet Amadeus, I'd save a fortune in vet's bills

I did look into it quite extensively as I breed Labrador retrievers. I must say that the thought of over vaccinating my pets worries me but where my dogs are concerned I have to ensure that my puppies receive the vital antibodies. So they are boosted every year. Any non breeding pets in my household are only vaccinated for the first few years of their lives.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-10-2005, 09:44 AM   #13

My pair had their initial kitten jabs, then nothing till we moved here 3 years ago and I neded to kennel them. They had lived a normal indoor/outdoor life from zero to 12 and 14 years respectively at that time.

They have had 2 annual boosts since we moved but nothing this year. I won't kennel then again (too aged for the upheaval I think - they will be 'attended' by kind neighbours when we're not here). So, that's a 15 and a 17 year old, with the immunity that previous jabs and the natural immunity that life has given them, living quiet, mostly indoor, lives.

Don't know what that proves or disproves. If I was you, Amadeus, I'm sure I wouldn't bother but that's just me saying what I would do - not telling/advising you.

The whole annual booster issue is contentious isn't it? I know there is a growing body of veterinary opinion against it, and it does seem odd, compared to our own experience as humans, where once our immune systems have been challenged and produced the antibodies that's it. We don't have annual boosters, just occassional boosts for some diseases in certain circumstances.......travelling etc. My niece, the vet student, has done a lot of research and disapproves of annual boosters - whether she will when they produce a percentage of her income is another matter!

On the other hand, the annual trip to the vets for apparently healthy animals gives the opportunity for a very general/superficial examination. I'm not sure how many conditions are identified by their swift heart check, gland feel and eye, ear and mouth examination?

mmm. there you are, my two-penn'orth. Don't know if it's worth that!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
26-10-2005, 10:48 AM   #14

well just gonna stick a spanner in the works, very recentlly my grandmother lost one of her siamese, Veritty who on October 31st of this year would have been n27 years old! she was never vaccinated and went out and about like a normal cat, went to the vet once in 27 years and that was to be speyed when her brooding days were over!
if i recall i don't think Clementine had her kitten vaccines but that was only because she was suffering from cat flu at the time, she hasn't been boostered and shes 3 on March the 8th, personally i don't see how they help, overly our puppy had her vaccines some month ago and got severlly ill from the 2nd one so my perspective has changed on them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
26-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #15

Well this is a valuable thread as far as I'm concerned because I have always had my indoor (and only very occasionally outdoor) cats vaccinated. And I've never really thought about or analysed the pros and cons.

The cats have always been healthy, but not sure if this is as a result of the jabs or not; maybe even without the jabs they would have been fine so have I been wasting my money?

The only other thing I would add is whether NOT innoculating would invalidate pet insurance (if you have any, that is).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
26-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #16

Thats one of the main questions you are asked when makeing a claim, or starting an insurance policy. I think if they weren't up-to-date that would give the insurance that very much sought after (it seems) get out clause. I may be wrong but dont think so.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #17

Yes - I think you are probably right - non-vaccination would be likely to invalidate an insurance claim. Mine aren't insured either.............maybe I'm the worst mum in the world!

Banned

26-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #18

where insurance policies are an issue i normally have bonds and savings, after all thats all an insurance companies do. Not a fan of insurance.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
26-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #19

I'm not a fan of them either. They do have there place but just DONT try to make a claim cause they'll try to find any exuse to get out of paying up. Speaking about personal injury claim here

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
26-10-2005, 04:55 PM   #20

Regarding pet insurance, the 3 times I've claimed for 2 of my cats I have never ever had a problem, infact, minimal questions asked from them and cheque arrived very swiftly each time

Maybe I've been lucky coz my house insurance co have been good too!!