Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #1

Cabbage and noodles

Tis was i n today;s Food section of the Post; sounds delicious. Going to try it this weekend.

Cabbage and Noodles

The Washington Post, December 3, 2008
Dinner in 30 Minutes
  • Course: Main Course
  • Features: Fast, Kid-Friendly
Summary:

This dish follows a basic, unofficial food tenet that everything tastes better with bacon.
The cabbage-noodle combo is simple and comforting on its own but could easily receive a helping of cubes of leftover pork or shreds of rotisserie chicken.
Serve with sauteed apples or pears.
4 servings

Ingredients:
  • 2 strips bacon (may substitute turkey bacon)
  • 1 medium sweet onion
  • 3 to 4 medium cloves garlic
  • 1/2 head cabbage (1 pound after trimming)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
  • 8 ounces dried wide egg noodles
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 3/4 to 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 6 stems flat-leaf parsley
Directions:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat (for the noodles).
Meanwhile, cut the bacon crosswise into thin strips. Cut the onion in half, then into very thin half-moons (at least 1 cup). Mince the garlic (to yield 2 tablespoons). Core the cabbage; discard the core and any tough or worn outer leaves, then cut the cabbage crosswise into thin slices.
Place the bacon pieces in a large, heavy-bottomed pot (such as a Dutch oven) over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring once the fat has started to render and the bacon has begun to crisp. Add the onions and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until they have softened and begun to pick up some color. Season with the pepper.
Add the noodles to the pot of boiling water; cook according to package directions.
Add the cabbage to the pot with the bacon-onion mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, until the cabbage has wilted and picked up some color, then add the chicken broth and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the salt and mix well.
Finely chop the parsley leaves.
Drain the noodles in a colander, then add them to the pot; mix well to incorporate. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
Sprinkle the parsley over the mixture and toss lightly to combine. Divide among individual wide shallow bowls and serve hot.

Recipe Source:

Adapted from "The Diabetic Chef's Year-Round Cookbook," by Chris Smith (American Diabetes Association, 200.

Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick for The Washington Post.
E-mail the Food Section with recipe questions.

(Julia Ewan - The Washington Post) Nutrition Facts Information per serving Calories: 358 % Daily Values* Total Fat: 12g 18 Saturated Fat: 4g 20 Cholesterol: 61mg 20 Sodium: 610mg25 Total Carbohydrates: 51g 17 Dietary Fiber: 5g 20 Protein: 14g *Percent Daily Value based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Total Fat: Less than65g Saturated Fat: Less than20g Cholesterol: Less than300mg Sodium:Less than2,400mg Total Carbohydrates: 300g Dietary Fiber: 25g
New Search

Keyword:

Course:

-- Select a Course Appetizer Beverage Bread Breakfast Condiment Dessert Main Course Salad Side Dish Snack Soup Cuisine:

-- Select a Cuisine -- African American Asian Australian Caribbean Central/South American Eastern European French Indian Irish Italian Mediterranean Middle Eastern Other Portuguese Scandinavian Southern/Soul Food Spanish Advanced Search

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #2

Re: Cabbage and noodles

That sounds very tasty!! Being of Eastern European descent, anything with cabbage is OK by me!!

I will copy that into a word doc and save it to try . . . it's a lovely winter-type dish just right for a Saturday dinner time methinks

Catsey Veteran

04-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #3

My thoughts exactly, Yola, let me know what you think. I'm trying it this weekend also; another cabbage fan here.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #4

I think it's been a very good year for cabbages - I buy ours locally from a farm shop and have been impressed by how tasty they have been. Sounds like a recipe worth trying!

Catsey Veteran

04-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #5

I'll report on it after the weekend. I do like cabbage; had ham and cabbage last weekend; another hearty winter dish for chilly weather...all those tasty root vegetables! And I'm fond of cole slaw salad also; is that a common dish in he UK?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #6

Yes it is Eileen - a very tasty and seasonal salad.