PDA

View Full Version : Churches/cathedrals/castles

Kazz
24-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Following on from CS's post in the daily yesterday with the teaching assignment in Leeds castle made me smile and recall how much I like old churches/cathedrals/castles. I had a plan to visit/photgraph all cathedrals in UK and somehow I let it slip. Will start that again as cathedrals are normaly in such beautiful places as well.

pamela81
24-03-2012, 10:10 AM
i do enjoy visiting castles and cathedrals when im ou and about. I love the photography aspect of them as they have amazing shapes and lines which make great photos.

MrsH
24-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Over the years we've visited many of our ancient cathedrals but hadn't done those of East Anglia so one year we spent a week and visited Norwich, Lincoln, Peterborough, Ely, and Bury St Edmund's, what a lovely time we had. Which was best? couldn't answer that as they were all wonderful in different ways but I have to say that the best welcome was at Peterborough, where a knowledgeable, helpful guide seemed genuinely pleased to see visitors, at some of the others the reception was rather lukewarm and perfunctory (but we didn't let that spoil our visit ;) )

Wish we'd parked nearer to the cathedral at Lincoln though then we wouldn't have had to climb up Steep Hill, what a well-named street!

angieh
24-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Oh mentioning Lincoln! Many years ago I was lucky enough to have a friend whose parents lived in one of the houses within the cloisters of Lincoln cathedral. We stayed up there for a few days one winter and I have some amazing photos of the whole place under snow. I'll look them out.

Shelley123
24-03-2012, 06:48 PM
I too enjoy looking around castles, churches and stately homes. As a child i was taken frequently on such visits and in turn took my boys. I prefer it when the castles are furnished, it's easier to imagine how people lived . I also quite enjoy looking around grave yards.

alexgirl73
24-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Oh I adore such places :D Hubby thinks I have very weird tastes lol. We were a member of the NT the year before last and I just loved visiting so many grand houses. Cathedrals and old churches just move me in so many ways. We did the castle trail in Scotland a few times, so many wonderful buildings to see. But I have to admit my favourite places to be are old graveyards :lol:. They are so peaceful but so full of history.

Kazz
24-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Oh that rings a bell and pulls on a heartstring Alex my History O level work was based around graveyards I used to love stone rubbing.

Velvet
24-03-2012, 07:58 PM
I love really old churches with the old old churchyards attached - some amazing history & castles are just fab x