PDA

View Full Version : Saturday daily thread

Kazz
29-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Well as I cannot see the back fence for the fog I thought would start the daily thread.

As previously mentioned its foggy here, watching the news about the "attack" in India, a good friend of mine Premoda was in Mumbai....when the attacks happened he was there with his cousin resolving their late grandfathers estate, and was actually due to have lunch with a lawyer one of the hotels that were attacked but they did not go due to the traffic they went to the lawyers home instead.......Prem is due home tomorrow. But is safe his wife rang to let us know.....I've known Prem for about 20 years, and until now did not realised how worried about what see on the tv can affect you it the all round coverage that gives you no let up.

Anyhow a odd day the fog makes it feel really Wintery but I have to go out.....Xmas present shopping..see you all later of Mom Dad going to see Seven Brides for Seven Brothers tonight at the Alexandra theatre.

Hope everyone is well.

See you all later. Karen

dinahsmum
29-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Misty here too, and blimmin chilly.

Wall to wall coverage of world events can be a bit horrifying. Actually I think it can distort your view of things and make you much more pessimistic than is justified. I never used to let my children watch news programmes when they were little though - far too much nasty stuff.
Glad your friend is safe. Life seems to be full of 'There but for fortune....' stories and I tend to think that's a good reason for carrying on with life, not being scared of possibly being a victim. It's a fatalistic view but it seems to me that que sera sera and you can't hide from the world.
I'm so old I can just about remember a 'Golden Age' when all seemed sweet and light - no wars, no troubles etc etc. I read Brendan Behan's 'Borstal Boy' when I was about 14 and found it difficult to 'get' with its IRA references - what the heck was that? Then, later, I lived I Brum for a couple of years and very soon after I moved away the whole IRA thing kicked off with the Birmingham pub bombs ..... and it feels a bit like we've never been peaceful since :(

Oh dear - here I am rambling again, and looking backwards - see, I am definitely getting old. Please shoot me if you catch me saying "When I was your age ..." :)

What a cheery post for a wintery Saturday! I'm on my own till Wednesday - you may get tired of my ramblings way before then :) Keep warm and have a good Saturday

Kazz
29-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Please shoot me if you catch me saying "When I was your age ..." :)

Excuse me but would not our shooting you just prove your point?.......:roll:

yola
29-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Morning! It's a late start for me as we've only just finished breakfast. OH is now suffering with what I had earlier in the week and is sleeping so I have the terrible twosome with me. Have to get them dressed and then myself sorted and we'll be off to see the allotment as soon as that's done.

It was very foggy here last night but that all seems to have lifted now. Generally grey and damp I think.

Last night we had a 'screening' of Wall.e. It was as brilliant as I remember it, the first half almost balletic but it seemed much longer at the cinema!

Karen, we work closely with a company who are in the next city to Mumbai (about 20 minutes drive). Ken was on the phone to Amar yesterday who was saying about where the trouble as started from and what it's all about . . . and yes, I agree when you actually know someone who's telling you about the background and also the personal implications of events such as these they suddenly look very different.

pinklizzy
29-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Morning!
Freezing fog over this way too, got to make my way into town in a little while then off to help my sister move house.
Rugby this afternoon so expecting to have lost my voice by this evening! ;) :D
Have a good day all,
Lx

Natalie
29-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Bore da

It's glorious here. freezing cold but clear blue skies. I love it.
Had to bath both girls this morning.....Poppy decided to finger paint with her porridge :evil: :evil: :evil:

Got a few jobs to do today and shall just potter. Need to take Milo for a small trot later but I think I need to invest in a fleece coat for him to keep his joint warm and cosy.

Both cats are indoors, merlin is trashing the lounge and Belle is having a catnap on the bed in the sun.

Have a good one girls and sorry for being absent again. Been on stupid shifts this week but now on annual leave :-D

p.s. Having problems with my photobucket. it doesnt show the links to each picture under the photo for me to add on here??? HELP

dinahsmum
29-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Matron - it's not you. Photobucket has changed a bit and you have to click your thumbnail pic to get it to show the 'tags'

Elaine
29-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Morning all, have done all the house work, cleaned litter boxes and hamster tank. So far the sky remains blue but wintry showers forecast.
Am off out in a bit to finnish my xmas shopping, will hopefully have them all wrapped and ready to ship out by tomorrow. Havent written nearly as many xmas cards as I normally do, lost my address book:roll:
Have a good day every one xxx

Alison
29-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Morning :D

It's very foggy here too today. My youngest daughter Rachael is spending the day with her Dad, my other daughter Katherine doesn't like going & prefers to stay with me, so this afternoon we are taking the dogs out for a long walk. Tonight I'll be sat infront of the tv to watch X Factor, can't miss that! :lol:

Natalie
29-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Matron - it's not you. Photobucket has changed a bit and you have to click your thumbnail pic to get it to show the 'tags'

Which thumbnail picture? Sorry to be so dense :?

dinahsmum
29-11-2008, 12:52 PM
If you're looking at 'my album' now, all you see is the rows of pics - they don't have the 3 or 4 different codes underneath. When you have located the pic you want to post, just click it, and the tags will come up. Copy & paste the one you want.

Natalie
29-11-2008, 12:55 PM
If you're looking at 'my album' now, all you see is the rows of pics - they don't have the 3 or 4 different codes underneath. When you have located the pic you want to post, just click it, and the tags will come up. Copy & paste the one you want.

I click it but nothing happens...the list of codes come up but as soon as i move the mouse to click on the link they disappear :evil: :evil:

Mags
29-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Morning all, misty earlier and bitter cold...

Stocked up on my Christmas goodies at Sainsbury's this morning, the prices appear to be far more expensive than they were for the same thing last year:roll:

Had a phone call this morning from my very excited g/daughter to say a letter had just come to say she had won the regional schools drawing competition. They were asked to draw something topical for this time of the year and she drew and coloured Santa with his reindeers, and snow roofed houses. Her prize is a nice story book.:D She is just 8 and this is the second prize she has won with her drawing .......last year she drew a picture with a recycling theme and was presented with her prize by the Lord Mayor.

Stay warm and enjoy your weekend...:D

Mags
29-11-2008, 01:06 PM
I click it but nothing happens...the list of codes come up but as soon as i move the mouse to click on the link they disappear :evil: :evil:

If you put your cursor on the thumbnail then slowly move it down to the IMG code you will be able to click on it..;)

Natalie
29-11-2008, 01:08 PM
If you put your cursor on the thumbnail then slowly move it down to the IMG code you will be able to click on it..;)

When i put the cursor there the img codes appear but when i move it down it vanishes :?

dinahsmum
29-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Ah ........
I've reached the limit of my technical expertise I'm afraid - hope someone else can help

Mags
29-11-2008, 01:12 PM
When i put the cursor there the img codes appear but when i move it down it vanishes :?
Try holding your cursor on the left hand side of the pic, above the code headings, when you slowly move down the codes should remain.....

Natalie
29-11-2008, 01:15 PM
BINGO

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/girlie74/Picture050.jpg

This is a picture of Poppy enjoying her breakfast

dinahsmum
29-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Hey!
It was worth waiting for :)

alexgirl73
29-11-2008, 01:52 PM
lol, fab pic!!! Although she does look a tad grumpy at the thought of you taking her pic!

Natalie
29-11-2008, 01:58 PM
lol, fab pic!!! Although she does look a tad grumpy at the thought of you taking her pic!

That's her "I'm sorry mummy" expression!!!!!!!!!!! She is all heart, NOT

Mags
29-11-2008, 02:18 PM
That pic was well worth waiting for!:lol:

Funny how you don't mind it getting all over their hands and face but .......in their hair as well....yuk!! :lol:

yola
29-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Oh my goodness, I think I would have had 20 fits if either of mine had done that!! They would have been out in the garden being hosed quicker than you could imagine LOL!!

angieh
29-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Matron - what a photo! what a hoot! (sorry, not for you though but it was an excellent photo).

To avoid having the same problem with photobucket again - I had the same problem and I think pb has altered something .... under the thumbnail photo in any of your albums you will find "link options"; click on this and the options screen will load. Then go towards the bottom of that box and make sure that the "always" button is lit by "show links in my albums". Click on save and you should now get the linking menu up again under all your photos.

Hope this helps!

alexgirl73
29-11-2008, 04:24 PM
angie you're a star!!! It was driving me nuts as well lol.

Mags
29-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks Angie :smt023

dinahsmum
29-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Ah - well described!

I forgot to mention earlier that I will be very rich tomorrow - the lottery! :roll: OH had a vivid dream that te lottery came up and we got £38.5million! :shock: So, we have splashed out on 2 whole goes!

It wil be a very good party ladies, and you'll all be invited - but don't hold your breath :)

Kazz
29-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Okay Hilary what numbers did he dream of..................?

dinahsmum
29-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Lucky dip - not very imaginative, eh?

Moli
29-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Afternoon all, Really warm here today, nothing much happening at the mo, we are going out later, point the car again and see where we end up.....
Hope everyone has had a good day...

dandysmom
29-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi, all! Sunny and not as cold, 6C, going to rain all day tomorrow, unfortunately. To the library for my Book Club book, the opticians for new glasses (love them!) and the liquor store for gin; settled in now for the day to start the book when Catsey is slow.

I've reached the age where I don't let all the unsettling news get to me; nothing I can do about it so refuse to let it depress me; live for the day. Works for me.

I had trouble with PB also; why do they persist in changing things? What ever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"??? Bah humbug!

Matron, that pic was definitely worth waiting for!

Stay warm and dry, enjoy!

Natalie
29-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi, all! Sunny and not as cold, 6C, going to rain all day tomorrow, unfortunately. To the library for my Book Club book, the opticians for new glasses (love them!) and the liquor store for gin; settled in now for the day to start the book when Catsey is slow.

I've reached the age where I don't let all the unsettling news get to me; nothing I can do about it so refuse to let it depress me; live for the day. Works for me.

I had trouble with PB also; why do they persist in changing things? What ever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"??? Bah humbug!

Matron, that pic was definitely worth waiting for!

Stay warm and dry, enjoy!

Why did you mention the word "Gin"????? i just have to have one now :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Moli
29-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Why did you mention the word "Gin"????? i just have to have one now :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
29-11-2008, 09:05 PM

:-D Sorry about that! Gin's my tipple, never acquired a taste for whiskey!

angieh
29-11-2008, 09:15 PM
I really like gin in the summer in a long drink with tonic and ice, but prefer dark rum in the winter!

yola
29-11-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm a white or rose wine girl only. The only other thing I used to drink was vodka (either frozen and neat or with bitter lemon) but OH said it made me agressive (what, me??? :shock: ;) :shock: ) so he's not allowing me to have any now :(

Gin or whiskey (and add brandy to that) would never pass my lips . . . I just can't take either smell or taste of them!!

dandysmom
29-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Gin primarily, like vodka also; white and rose wines, beer too. Never acquired a taste for rum either. My Dad was a bourbon drinker, I never liked the taste .....