PDA

View Full Version : "missing" the litter tray

Soupie
04-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Pousse is very clean and knows where her tray is but she doesn't really squat properly. She tries to pee in the corners but as she stands "up" rather than squats, this means her aim has been off a little and she sometimes misses the tray.

Any ideas on sorting this out? She has a large tray which is fairly deep (about 5/6inches). She does get herself upset when she misses too and becomes quite agitated :(

Thanks

Soupie.

Fran
04-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Have you tried a covered tray?? I find covered trays invaluable for messy kitties :roll:

Soupie
04-02-2007, 08:11 PM
I have considered it but as I said she stands full height and I am worried that she will be put off using one as the only ones I have seen are not very roomy inside? What do you think?

Mags
04-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I was going to suggest the same Fran ;)

Cassie has a covered tray and I find them excellent ....... it would be ideal if Pousse has a habit of missing the tray...they are a lot more hygienic too....

You can get one in Argos, quite reasonable....
http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/0350310A65UC256515T.jpg
(http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8702410/Trail/C%24cip%3D49998.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24 cip%3D50047.Petcare%3EC%24cip%3D50054.Scratching%2 Bposts%2Band%2Bcat%2Baccessories.htm)

Mags
04-02-2007, 08:18 PM
I have considered it but as I said she stands full height and I am worried that she will be put off using one as the only ones I have seen are not very roomy inside? What do you think?
I think she would adapt to squatting easy enough ........ does she squat when she poops?

Cassie is 10years old and she has plenty of room to move around in her tray.....

Soupie
04-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I think she would adapt to squatting easy enough ........ does she squat when she poops?

I don't know as she won't poop when I am in the room :shock: - she is extremely timid and according the notes that came with her from the rescue centre she is very nervous of change and can react quite badly!

I'm willing to give it a go but don't want to scare her off if you know what I mean?

I've seen those ones with lips on around the edge and wonder if that might be help but then I have images of her weeing on the lip! She's been here a week and done it twice but having watching her pee I could see it happening again if she wees too close to the edge :roll:

dinahsmum
04-02-2007, 08:28 PM
I think a covered tray would be best. Donna has the same trouble with one of her girls. If they don't squat you risk very stinky walls!
btw I'd remove the 'cat flap' door on the cover unless Pousse is used to a catflap - just make life easy and let her pop in and out through a space rather than a flap

Fran
04-02-2007, 08:41 PM
I don't know as she won't poop when I am in the room :shock: - she is extremely timid and according the notes that came with her from the rescue centre she is very nervous of change and can react quite badly!

I am wondering if she might actually feel 'safer' and more private in a covered litter tray? Worth a go?

Soupie
04-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Will pop up to the pet store tomorrow - they have them on sale at the moment. It is worth a go definitely. She is just so nervous I find myself at a loss as I have always had feral/stable kittens which I have brought up from a young age and never had a cat this nervous at this age so it's all a bit new.

dandysmom
04-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Soupie, how old is Pousse? She's probably stressed at being in a new home; I think the covered tray without the door is a great suggestion, and do hope it works for you! Let is know how she's doing with it!

Soupie
04-02-2007, 09:09 PM
She's 12 and some of it is stress at being in a new home but unfortunately she has a few little issues as well which make it harder to tell what is "new home" stress and what is stress at a certain circumstance.

She had been in a private home since kitten in 1994 and then they had to rehome her due to an allergy in the family. They tried this privately and it didn't work out and caused Pousse a lot of stress and she reacted badly (although IMO fairly "normally" for a cat moving home after 12 years) hiding and refusing all food so they brought her home and then placed her in the cat rescue where she had been a month when I picked her.

So the last few months have been traumatic and I'm trying to keep her routine as close to her former one as possible. I'll try the covered litter tray and put some of her old litter in there to encourage her to use it :smt023

Will let you all know how she does :D

Mags
04-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Good luck Soupie, I hope all goes well..... :D

alexgirl73
04-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Fingers crossed for Pousse!!

dandysmom
04-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Best of luck, fingers crossed here too!

Sweet
04-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Fingers and paws crossed here x

Soupie
05-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Covered litter tray now installed so fingers crossed she uses it! :?

Fran
05-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Fingers crossed Soupie, let us know how it goes x

Mags
05-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Hope she uses it alright Soupie! ;)

Soupie
06-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Well touch wood all is going ok - she still makes a massive production of digging and covering her "parcels" but the covered tray keeps it all in :D

Much easier for me with my arthritis as well as I don't have to sweep the surrounding area clean of litter every time she goes ;)

She must be settling as I am gradually changing things and she is adapting fine :cat1

Fran
06-02-2007, 10:26 AM
One step forward and hopefully one problem solved ;)

Mags
06-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Pleased to hear she has accepted the covered tray Soupie;)

Kay
06-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Thats great news, Soupie. Well done Pousse.

Soupie
07-02-2007, 08:17 AM
:roll: Spoke too soon!

She missed last night through the opening - luckily I have paper down underneath but it does distress her :(

Not sure what to do? should I experiment with where I put the litter in the tray to encourage her to go further back?