Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
08-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #11

Re: Clumping Litter Hazards..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevvur
I use this...it's fantastic!!!
I get it from 'Zooplus', as it's the cheapest i've found!
been using best cat since we got Marmaduke (his breeder uses it) she also put us on to zooplus, cheapest place around for just about everything. Just done an order for a load of food and 40l cats best. They are doing a payment plan, pay £9.99 and get 5% off every order for the next 3yr's well worth doing (already saved nearly £5 on just this one order)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #12

If you join TopCashBack (free) you can get another 5.15% cash back from Zooplus.

I would recommend people join TopCashBack - we have had over £200 back this year. Just search on the site you want to use and if it is a member of the scheme click the link to take you there.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
08-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #13

My Two Kittens Will Not Go Anywhere Near Pellets, In Fact The Only Time They Have Toileted Outside Their Tray Was When I Had Pellets!! Having Tried A Few Different Types I Got Lucky When They Both Were Ok With The Tesco "value! Litter Which Is Very Cheap!!
They Donnt Mind The Slightly Dearer "clumping " One, But I Just Get The Normal One And They Are Both Quite Happy!
They Don't Dig At All When Weeing, But Both Dig To Australia When Poohing Then Sometimes Cover It Up And Other Times Just Leave It. But Joy Nearly Always Walks On The Stuff Trying To Cover It. Which Is Annoying. When I Try And Clean Her Paws, She Hates It!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Waifs and Strays
13-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #14

I use non clumping Catsan or its slightly cheaper clone from Pets at Home ,its expensive but appears to last longer and seems to keep odours to a minimum (important if you have 4 litter trays lol) I dont like clumping litter it seems to have a lot of negative effects if accidently ingested by pets and is as you say dusty . I have not tried wooden pellets .

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: mix
17-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #15

OK - maybe this is a dum question but ... If you use non-clumping litter than how do you get what the cats urine out? I mean OK the poo, but the wee? Or do you just leave it in there and if so how many times per week (day?) do you change the litter?
I only have experience with clumping litters and had so far never had any probs...
THX

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
18-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by miki
OK - maybe this is a dum question but ... If you use non-clumping litter than how do you get what the cats urine out? I mean OK the poo, but the wee? Or do you just leave it in there and if so how many times per week (day?) do you change the litter?
I only have experience with clumping litters and had so far never had any probs...
THX
Although you can't smell it you can see where the cat has recently urinated because the wood pellets in that small area'explode', they become puffed up and not compact anymore. I just take the trowel and scoop out their wee more or less each time they go, I then dump it in the outside burner, when enough has built up I set a match to it, once it gets going it smells all woody and lovely! You can just as well put in on the log burner, at no stage do these wood pellets smell of cat urine, I'm amazed!('Number 2s' you would need to pick up with the trowel and flush down the toilet or put in a nappy bag and in the bin, not tried burning them yet but I guess they would burn?!)
How often to change? I refresh as they go, then I let the whole tray get low before washing out and changing completely, it all depends how often you want to devote to changing and topping up as they go, but if you were to leave it for a day you still probably still wouldn't get any smell. Overall I'm sold on the wood pellets, it's pretty good stuff, more natural for the cats with no dust getting in their tiny lungs and has got to be one of the most environmentally friendly litters around. You can use it for cage animals too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
19-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by miki
THX
If using non Clumping litter our eldest girl Amber won't use the litter unless it is a complete change & thorough washout every single day. I tried many litters including clumpers before I hit on Cats Best. Amber approves of it I scoop out the pee & poo balls twice a day and it stays nice and fresh and lasts 4 weeks with occasional top up of fresh litter mixed in

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
19-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #18

I changed over to wood pellets a few months ago and must admit I am sold. I did use catsan before but a friend put me onto the wood, they are fantastic and a really decent pice P@H are doing them at 60L for £18. My two don't mind them at all, tbh they are not fussy, they have used anything I have put into their loos. I am very fortunate

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #19

i only use a pets at home own brand lightweight cat litter. they dont tend to use the box very often, they tend to go outside, even if the weather is bad they will ask to go out the back door, go the toilet then meow to come back in
a 5kg bag lasts well over a month...

i thought about getting one of those cat trays with a hood on, but in all honesty dont know if the cats would use the doors on them, they dont have a cat flap so arent used to going through them, and they are four years old now...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-clo-x
i only use a pets at home own brand lightweight cat litter. they dont tend to use the box very often, they tend to go outside, even if the weather is bad they will ask to go out the back door, go the toilet then meow to come back in
a 5kg bag lasts well over a month...

i thought about getting one of those cat trays with a hood on, but in all honesty dont know if the cats would use the doors on them, they dont have a cat flap so arent used to going through them, and they are four years old now...
Cassie has a hooded litter tray and I just leave the flap off ......... you can also buy hooded litter trays without a flap