Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: MOGGIE,SNOWSHOE CAT
30-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #1

The Naming Of Cats

We have been catless for a year since we lost our last oldie, a pretty tabby girl called B.A. She was so called because she was handed in at the police station where I work as a kitten found in a bag on the banks of the River Dee and the police radio callsign for the area is 'B.A.'

Our first cat was called Servalan - a petite black shorthaired girl with a rather domineering personality just like her namesake. We also had Servalan's son - another black shorthair who we called Blake. They were joined by two rescues - a black semi-longhair called Tom-Tom and his rather plump tortie and white mother who we called Calico. Finally we acquired Foster-cat - his owner had unexpectedly found himself in jail and he asked the police to rescue his cat. I agreed to foster him, but his owner never came back for him.

We have seven English Setters, and our oldest - Thalice, is now rather rickety and so has to be seperated from the rather boisterous others, so we have been looking for a feline companion for her. Hopefully we have found him at the local animal rescue. He is a beautiful large, friendly and muscular black tom - called Sooty. Apart from the fact he is black, the name really doesnt suit him.

Have you any ideas for naming such a handsome chap ?- I would be particulary interested in Welsh names as we live in Wales and some of our dogs (The ones that were born here) have Welsh names.

Thalice's Mum

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
30-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #2

Re: The Naming Of Cats

Hello a warm welcome to Catsey!

What an interesting story about your previous cats and how nice that you have decided to allow "Sooty" share your home now. We'll look forward to seeing a pic of him

I daresay you will receive many name suggestions now ....... we also have a few Welsh members here so they may be able to come up with and interesting Welsh name...

Looking forward to chatting and hearing more about your four-legged family...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #3

Hi and welcome, Thalice. I'm sure some of our Welsh members will be able to offer a few naming suggestions for "Sooty" when they come on. If you don't find anything to suit, there's always Onyx....my lovely black girl was called that, and it's gender neutral!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #4

Like the Blake's 7 connections - what about Gan??? Otherwise I'll leave the Welsh names for our Welsh members to suggest!!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
30-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #5

There are 'one or two' names you may like to look at here

30-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #6

Wow!!

Thanks guys - what beautiful cats you have - how I have missed feline company - lovely purrs and cuddles and chats - treading on my head in the middle of the night - the clock radio switched on by treading paws, all my trouser legs picked with little pulls - everything pushed off the top shelf !!

Fantastic collection of Welsh names. I have some in mind for my next puppy - Halkyn, Caradoc, Beulah but for a black, black cat perhaps Merllyn(the wizard), Bran (raven), Gethin(dark/dusky). However, with my love of British Sci-Fi - perhaps Ianto as in Torchwood ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalice
Wow!!

Thanks guys - what beautiful cats you have - how I have missed feline company - lovely purrs and cuddles and chats - treading on my head in the middle of the night - the clock radio switched on by treading paws, all my trouser legs picked with little pulls - everything pushed off the top shelf !!

Fantastic collection of Welsh names. I have some in mind for my next puppy - Halkyn, Caradoc, Beulah but for a black, black cat perhaps Merllyn(the wizard), Bran (raven), Gethin(dark/dusky). However, with my love of British Sci-Fi - perhaps Ianto as in Torchwood ?
Ah, a fellow sci-fi fan! We had a (sadly rather inactive now) book club, but still have a recommendations thread...do post anything you have read recently and think others might find interesting!. We chat about a lot of things besides cats. And, if no one has mentioned it, we LOVE pics!!

31-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #8

Aha !

Unable to post any piccies of my boy just yet as we dont collect him until Monday, but I will as soon as....

I have a very busy life but as they say, if you want something done, ask a busy woman. I work full time and walk, groom and show seven English Setters, three of whom are elderly with health problems (sounds a bit like me really). Cats have been an integral part of our lives and all but my youngest dog have been brought up with the cats. We had a brief interlude with Kiki the cat who we got from the local rescue. A beautiful tabby girl - she turned out to be an escape artiste who eventually moved in with a neighbour. I was heartbroken but at least I know where she is.
It has taken a year for me to pluck up the courage to choose another kit to join us. Hopefully he will stay.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
31-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #9

Welcome! Lovely to have you here with your dogs and soon-to-be-cat. I had a big, black, muscular (ex) tom who we named Ferdy . . . not being Welsh I can't really suggest any names, but I do like Bran - it sounds very masculine.

Very much looking forward to seeing pictures of your new arrival when he finally arrives!

Edit to say, I too love the name Servalan - perfect for a small, fiesty, black cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
31-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #10

Looking forward to meeting your new boy.

Hope you manage to find a name that 'clicks'.