Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
06-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #1

Rimadyl side effects .

Has anyone been given the drug, Rimadyl, for their dogs? It's often given for pain relief for arthritis.My Willow has bad arthritis in her back legs and my vet gave her Rimadyl. It worked well but unfortunately she has had a bad reaction to it It can supposedly cause stomach bleeding and even death in some dogs.Willow hasn't eaten anything now for three days but she is drinking.I only wish I'd done some research on the side effects of this "wonder drug" before I gave it to her. Has anyone else used Rimadyl for their dogs and experienced a similar result? Or has anyone had a good experience with using a different medication for arthritis for their dog. Willow will now be put back on an increased dose of glucosamine and MSM (when she starts eating). I could kick myself because I am usually so careful about what medication I give my pets, and now it's my fault that she is feeling so ill.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
15-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #2

Re: Rimadyl side effects .

Just an update on my big mastiff, Willow.Last Sunday(12th) she had a bad seizure, the first she has ever had. Unfortunately I touched her face to try and calm her and she bit me badly. Willow then had emergency surgery on Tuesday(14th) for pyometra. It lasted 3 hours but she made it and is now recovering at home. She won't eat anything but is drinking and for the first time this morning she was able to stand up without help and go outside to the toilet.She is on methadone for pain relief as she can't take the NSAID medications.The vet believes that the seizure was the result of the pyometra and that her system was highly toxic.We are taking one day at a time with her. If she had been speyed, this wouldn't have happened.Never again will I have a female dog that is not speyed. I put my older dog through long and dangerous surgery and pain. I've learnt my lesson the hard way., I'm afraid.Please would you remember Willow in your prayers.