Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: tabby cat
11-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #1

Minnie

Sorry we havent been on for a while but we hope you remember us,Jacks and Minnie.

If you can remember Minnie had a thyroid gland removed a few years ago and that uncovered the start of kidney problems.Everythings been okay until a few weeks ago when she went hyperthyroid again. She went into the vets again for the op to remove the other thyroid which all went very well.
But since shes been home she seems to have changed.Shes always been very vocal but now she screams at us,she also sits up close to the tv(on or off)screaming at it.She sometimes forgets what door to come in from the garden.Shes not eating much sometimes nothing all day.She sleeps alot more than what she did.She wants to get in places(top of mantlepiece,warddrobe)she never ventured before.I came home the other day from work and she met me as usual,after 5 mins i heard a strange meow like it was all shakey and turned round and she was sitting there shaking or shivering.I spoke quietly to her and gently stroked her and after a few seconds it all stopped.
Shes still loving to us and wants cuddles and her toilet habits are ok.She takes her fortekor tablet everyday like a good girl.If we talk to her quietly and pick her up she calms down.
Ive been googling all this and i think Minnie has the beginning of Dementia..Shes 16 now and i know shes an old lady .I just wondered if anyone has had experience of this or could tell me anything.Could the trauma of the op caused this?We love her very much and would do anything for her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
11-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #2

Re: Minnie

hi, sorry to hear minnie's not doing too well at the moment. i dont have any helpful info for you but im not sure if theres a health reason that could be causing this or possibly dementia, either or i think your vets would be the best bet.

poor girl, must be horrible for you to see her like that x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
12-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #3

I agree with Lynz - wee check up at the vets

We have a dog with kidney disease and she goes off her food a lot - she feels sick a lot of the time - if your girl has thyroid disease perhaps her levels need checked again and treatment adjusted accordingly - again only your vet can advise.

HUGS

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #4

Hi Jacks - so very sorry to hear about Minnie - you don't say how long ago she had the other gland removed ..... just clutching at straws and wondering if it's just the GA still to work out of her system, it can take up to 6 weeks.

Sadly, it does sound to me as if she's developing dementia. My old Merlin did go through a yowling phase but he could always be comforted by a cuddle and soothing. Of course, a cat doesn't have the horrid thoughts that people can experience when suffering from dementia as cats live in the moment and dear Minnie does sound as if she's not sure what she's doing sometimes. Bless her.

I would take her back to the vet and see what advise they can offer. Kizzy sends her best comforting purrrrs to her sister and I send cuddles to her and ((((hugs)))) to you.

Catsey Senior

12-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #5

I forgot to say Minnie had the op 12th March and we went back to the vets a week later for a check up.I mentioned the things that had been happening and they said its still early days and come back in a months time.We are going back to the vets next week.I keep hopeing things are going to change.She seems quite happy in her own little world and sometimes quite normal.The vet said she will eat if shes hungry.Yesterday she ate a bowl of food in the morning,a bowl in the evening and half a bowl in the night.
Thankyou for your replies,they mean alot to me.Will keep you informed on how minnie does.

Catsey Veteran

12-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #6

Minnie will be in our thoughts Jacks - do hope that these distressing symptoms go away on their own.

Kizzy is good at speaking to The Great Cat and has promised she will do so with her lovely sister in mind.

Do let us know what the vet says next week.

Catsey Senior

12-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #7

Thankyou Angieh and Kizzy,every bit of help is appreciated.Will keep you informed on how we get on.Even though shes an old lady shes my baby.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
13-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #8

Jacks, my older girl Fifi started this yelling . . . except she used to face into the corner of a room/doorframe and do it; mainly at night. A simple test uncovered very high blood pressure which she is medicated for now and we've not had a yelling bout since she started the tablets. It sounds as if maybe Minnie might have several things going on; and the one I would personally be concerned about is the shaking as that might point to something neurological.

However, I strongly agree with the others here and would suggest a long chat with your vet as to what might be the root cause/causes.

Catsey Senior

13-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #9

We have an appointment at the vets on Tuesday.Will have a good chat with the vet and suggest a few things and see what she says.The shakeing does concern me even though shes only done it the once.(that ive seen)Wish us luck and hopefully i will have some positive news on Tuesday.

Catsey Veteran

13-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #10

Heaps of loving healing vibes from Kizzy and me - hope the vet can give you some hopeful news.