Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #1

Introducing George Henry

Well picture to follow but he is is cheeky chap,very splendid in his winter suit.
He is my robin well the robin thats taken over the garden - today he was watching as I tided round the garden following me almost (also dinning on unsuspecting worms) but while I was planting some tulip bulbs he landed on my shoulder will get a picture of him shouldn't be hard he is never far away. He is really friendly really cocky too.
I have a broken garden fork (spikes gone) and I was going to throw it away stuck it in the ground to remind me but he's taken to perching on it he loves being perched high up over looking his garden George Henry was the name that came to me today and it suits him.
Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #2

Re: Introducing George Henry

What an amazingly tame friendly little bird! Would love to see his picture..Did you put in lots of tulips? They're so cheerful after a long grey cold winter....I put in anemone blandas this afternoon, the low-growing little blue ones...did last fall too, but squirrels got most of them...

Catsey Veteran

10-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #3

Yes put in loads and loads of tulips. Hope they come up also under planted some daffs under the pansies in the big terrracota tub where the margariete has been flowering all summer.
planted daffs out last week and the week before.

The robin has been around for a while now, but I think he is getting used to me that plus the fact I garden and disturb worms and have been known to throw the off "meal worm" to him I brought them for him and top up his ground feeding station. Now I have a spoilt robin.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #4

I'm curious: do Englsh robins go south for the winter like ours, or will he stay around? What will he eat when the ground is frozen?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #5

I hope you get a pic of him Kazz!

My dad was an avid gardener, had a huge garden and was always out there in all weathers. He used to go out and dig his parsnips up in wintertime and I can remember a robin always perching on the fork he was using, it was so tame

When I was very, very young , I used to think there was only one robin....and that was the Christmas robin........I was quite disappointed when I found out there were lots of them around!!

Catsey Veteran

10-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I'm curious: do Englsh robins go south for the winter like ours, or will he stay around? What will he eat when the ground is frozen?
Hello DM Robins are resident in the UK all year they stay here. You must recall our winters are mild to most countries;
My robin will be eating well I have brought "mealworms" for him now and am soaking them before feeding he is well happy. I imagine the number of people feeding birds etc works well for robins plus our ground doesn't disappear under loads of snow So he will be with me all winter, christmas cards in UK often have robins on the front.They are more noticable in winter I assume because they are cheeky and bright red breasts

Catsey Veteran

10-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I hope you get a pic of him Kazz!

My dad was an avid gardener, had a huge garden and was always out there in all weathers. He used to go out and dig his parsnips up in wintertime and I can remember a robin always perching on the fork he was using, it was so tame

When I was very, very young , I used to think there was only one robin....and that was the Christmas robin........I was quite disappointed when I found out there were lots of them around!!
Mags I am so pleased my post has brought to mind some happy memories of your Dad.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Mags I am so pleased my post has brought to mind some happy memories of your Dad.
You always seem to 'dig up' some lovely memories Kazz!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
10-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #9

Lovely story Kazz, shows what kind of person you are for this little bird to trust you.. ...Hope you can get a picture...

Catsey Veteran

10-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Lovely story Kazz, shows what kind of person you are for this little bird to trust you.. ...Hope you can get a picture...
Lulling him into a false sense of security Moli, recall 4 & 20 blackbirds in the pie well this will be 5 & 15 robins. no seriously I think he's s a little bit soft