Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Is owned by Persians
18-02-2005, 11:49 PM   #21

Re: Animal Testing

The problem today with illness is that your not allowed to build an immunity.Every thing to clean with is anti bacterial.You need some germs etc to build up your own imunity otherwise you will catch everything going .Ashma,exma is all on the increase along with food intolerance.Makes you wonder why

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
19-02-2005, 12:05 AM   #22

That's very true Sam. Years ago cleaning was done with a good bar of carbolic soap and hot water. Nowadays we've got a cleaner for this and a cleaner for that which helps pay for it's 'inventor's' private health treatment!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Bengal
Azz is Male
23-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #23

maybe i cant remb too well, but everything was just as clean back in those days?! boiling hot water and fairy liquid makes everything greasfree and squeaky clean!

I still blame it all on the chemicals in food!

04-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #24

I am against animal testing for make up, household cleaners etc, and would dearly love to see it banned completely. I also feel that it is probably possible to stop it for medical research if the neccesary people could set up other ways. However, I am well aware that if anyone in my family needed life saving treatment, I would agree without thinking about how that treatment was developed. I think we should be more informed about how safe medicines and treatments, that were tested on animals first, actually were when first tried on humans. One that springs to mind is the Thalidomide drug. That was tested on animals first and deemed to be safe for pregnant humans. An animal's biological make up is very different to ours, so does it really make sense to put them through so much suffering when it may not be any use to us anyway??

Sarah

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
04-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #25

Test on prisoners who have done the worst crimes. They dont get a choice. If they are in prison - that is just part of it - they get tested on. But know that would never happen, but thats my choice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
06-02-2006, 12:54 AM   #26

I'm definitely against animal testing for household products and cosmetics. Drugs - hmmm well that is more difficult. At present you cannot get a drug licensed unless it has been tested on animals, and just think how much we rely on antibiotics, drugs for epilepsy, diabetes, cancer drugs, etc, etc. However, testing on animals isn't a guarantee of safety as they are not human!!! I was thinking of thalidomide too - my mum was offered this drug when she was pregnant with me and she refused. Thank goodness....... The Dr Hadwen trust is a registered charity dedicated to finding alternatives to the use of animal experiments. http://www.drhadwentrust.f2s.com/ makes interesting reading and food for thought. This is an excerpt from their web site.

Millions of animals continue to be used in research and testing. Cats, dogs, rabbits, mice and other animals, no different from those we care for as pets, are used in experiments which can involve brain damage, lethal infections or heart attacks. As well as causing pain and suffering, animal testing is scientifically unsatisfactory because differences between people and animals can give rise to misleading results.

We want medical research to succeed in finding cures and treatments for human health problems. But we also believe that causing suffering to anima ls in experiments is unacceptable in a civilised society. So the Dr Hadwen Trust funds medical research to replace animals experiments. We have successfully developed new non-animal research techniques that have saved thousands of animals and made a real contribution to the fight against human illness.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
06-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #27

a few years ago hubby n myself was out side huntigdon life sciences protesting against animal testing,did u know its against the law to call their workers scum, aparently they find it offensive i was almost arrested for that testing on animals for make up and cleaning products thats a no-no, but for drugs thats a grey area, did u know that morphine will drive a cat hyper,but on humans its a sedative, so obiously they are not getting a true n accurate reading are they, id put my self up for drug testing,heck with a bad back n sholder let me test painkillers,and with angina ill test the heart tabs,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
06-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #28

At present you cannot get a drug licensed unless it has been tested on animals, and just think how much we rely on antibiotics, drugs for epilepsy, diabetes, cancer drugs, etc, etc. However, testing on animals isn't a guarantee of safety as they are not human!!!

How true.

A certain amount of testing, where drugs are concerned, are at present necessary but do not always provide accurate results. Our bodies are very different in many ways. My two children are living proof of this. They both have a syndrome called Fetal Anti-Convulsant Syndrome (F.A.C.S.). This was caused by my anti-epileptic drugs while they were in the womb. Apparently nothing showed up in the animal tests. Although the drugs control my epilepsy well the problems my kids have to endure are totally unfair. The eldest has Aspergers ( a form of Autism), Epilepsy, learning difficulties and an abnormal jaw which he will have to have an operation on. This involves breaking both jaws and pinning the bottom one further back. The youngest has Autistic tendencies, ADHD, Epilepsy, learning difficulties and is also going through treatment on hi legs and he has always walked on his toes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
08-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #29

i HATE animal testing, have you seen how those poor animals suffer? not only subjected to all sorts of tests but kept in tiny cages too.
It's wrong.
get the companies who test on animals, lock up all thier workers, and test on them!

Cats owned: Moggies
07-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #30

Its interesting to read that in 2008 there are still people who think that testing drugs etc on animals is right.

Obviously these people have never read anything on experiments. If they had they would realise that it is all a fast. Brain washing or what. It does not work.

There are companies out there that have made wonderful break in medical science by testing on tissue cells from dead humans. Because this is classed as barbaric, it is not accepted because dead bodies are used!!! It is more acceptable to use animals with no pain relief.

Wonder if these people have ever been into a lab? Or would they have nightmares for the rest of your life if you did? I know people who have had mental breakdowns after seeing what goes on.

Animals are not humans. A drug cannot be safely tested on an animal and then be used on a human.

I had a police friend once who was called out in the middle of the night to a lab. He found a little dog, pinned down on a table on its back. Its legs were broken so it could be tied to the table. Its voice box had been cut so it could not make a noise. It was wide awake. It was cut open with its insides laying beside it. When the hometime bell had rang at 5 pm the little dog was left until the next day, when the experiment could continue.

Medical research is very barbaric, cruel and a waste of time and suffering. DO SOME SENSIBLE READING PLEASE. Do not be fooled by claims of drug companies progress. Support people like Dr Hadwin trust and Quest cancer research.

We did not accept what went on in the war, so why think its ok now cos its an animal? Do you all really think we are more important than they are?

Do not be nieve.