Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
31-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

Is there any truth in the ....,

Several people have said to me -

oh a naughty tortie

you will have your work cut out for you with a tortie

I wouldn't have one - theyre trouble

Sooooo .... Are there justifications in these rumours or are they, as i suspect "old wives tales" ?

As far as Mindy is concerned & yes shes a young kitten, you couldn't want for a nicer little kitten-person.

Comments/opinions etc please

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #2

Re: Is there any truth in the ....,

I have often wondered whether personality could any way be linked to colour in cats .... in fact there is a similar discussion underway on the Schnauzer forum to which I belong - re Schnauzers naturally!

I think that scientifically it would be dismissed as anecdotal evidence. Catsey members may know differently! I cannot comment about torties, as I have never had one. Kizzy is tabby/tortie but IMO more tabby than tortie in personality.

I will be interested to read other comments Velvet!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
31-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #3

I'm sure a lot is down to their own personality and how they are brought up. I don't believe that can be predetermined by the pattern of their coat. Looking at google and some the stuff on there " tortitude" etc says different lol

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

I would say yes from my own experience with Cassie and also with my daughter's cat who is a brindle tortie ........ they both have "tortitude"

Cassie can be a very loving cat but I have to be honest and say I wouldn't trust her 100%. I am unable to pick her up and hold her for more than minute even now at 14 years old. She will sit on my lap and likes cuddles and fusses - but only on her terms. I am always aware of little signals she gives before she will snap at my hand to say she's had enough. When my granchildren visit I always tell them not to touch Cassie when she is lying down.

My vet said they always tend to be a little more circumspect when handling torties as they knew they tended to have a short fuse and did not care for being handled too much.

Saying all that though, I have to say Cassie is the sweetest of cats 99% of the time, I accept the other 1% and wouldn't have her any other way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
31-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #5

my mums cat tigger, aka jungle is a brindle tortie. she is very much a little madam and the queen of the house!! she is lovely natured, i can pick her up-most of the time without her moaning, she loves cuddling in and hogging your pillow at bed time. she is good with my neices and nephews, she tolerates a lot then will run away when shes had enough, i've never seen her swipe out etc.
she has been turning more into a grump as shes got older tho! she can just about tolerate ty, but he pesters her a lot. she loved our old dog and would be often seen lying sleeping together. she has still not accepted pip, and will hiss and run away from him so when shes up here visiting its hard to keep her happy!!
overall, if i could have a bit less grump off her it would be great, but i wouldnt change another thing about her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #6

This question comes up every so often: here's a previous thread that may be of interest:

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...errible+tortie

My brindled tortie was shy and not terribly demonstrative; enjoyed a cuddle on her own terms.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
20-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #7

I have never had a tortie own me but there is one lives in the neighbourhood and everyone says how naughty she is, as in she's a really prolific hunter..I can't comment on her character as I've only met her once, but her ma and pa dote on her and she seems a real sweetie.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
15-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #8

I have a lot of torties and tortiepoints and have varying degrees of 'tortitude'.

Most torties are a product of the mum and dads colouring, eg red from dad and black from mum, but some are down to two embryos fusing and the resulting one embryo taking on the two different embryos colours. This is thought, in some cats to actual cause issues with the brain and thus the resulting naughty tortie attitude.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
15-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #9

Do you know she hasn't changed at all, still the same sweet little girl.

Our Piebald kitten, now there is a different story ............ .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
15-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #10

My torties consist of Leila, Shanon, Phoebe, Jilly, Roxie, Heaven, Rosie, Sera, Annisa & Hannah. We also have Tilly 2 who is a seal-tortie tabbypoint. They are all Persians except Rosie and Sera who are mental Orientals and really are 'naughty torties' especially Sera. Leila, Jilly, Roxie & Hannah are real softees but Shanon, Phoebe, Heaven (so the wrong name) & Annisa are definitely 'naughty torties'. Tilly 2 is not so much naughty as bossy.