Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Birman, Moggie.
31-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #1

Rehoming to homeowners only.

How do Catsey members feel about rescues who have a policy of not rehoming to people who do not own their own homes?

I totally understand that all potential homes should be vetted and that if the would be adopters are tenents they should be able to provide evidence of their council/landlords permission to keep pets but I think that ruling out adoption to people who live in rented accomodation is very unfair and may mean that needy cats and kittens miss out on excellent homes.

Not everyone who rents is out of work, irresponsible or has an unstable home life. We choose to rent as we do not want the worry of having a huge mortgage.
In the current climate there aren't many of us who can say what out lives will bring one year or ten years down the line but at least I do not need to worry about us losing our jobs and having our home reposessed, needing to find new homes for our pets, something I know I would be scared of if we were buying our home.

I believe people who rent have as much right to share their lives with companion animals as any homeowner and should not be discriminated against by rescue charities if they fulfill the other criteria for adopting an animal.

I'd like to add that I am not posting this because of something that has happened to me personally, rather that the thought that people in my situation may be prevented from enjoying pet ownership upsets me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #2

Re: Rehoming to homeowners only.

I totally agree with you MrsFigg. It seems an unnecessary restriction, if, as you say, there is evidence that the landlord allows tenants to keep pets - however, in this area it seems that many landlords do not allow it.

31-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #3

I realize that some private landlords do not allow pets but most councils do, many positively encourage responsible pet ownership, hold fun dog shows, do low cost neutering schemes etc.

I think that more and more people are going to choose to rent in the future and they should be allowed pets and not be made to feel like second class citizens.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
31-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #4

I think many rescues have some rediculous policies and that each potential home should be judged on it's own merits.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #5

I totally agree too, MrsFigg! If the people and the accommodations pass the home inspection test and pet ownership is OKd by the landlord, then it it is out-and--out arrant discrimination! My parents chose to rent our home, if that had been in effect I could not have had my childhood cat nor my first cat as an adult. I own my home so it's not a problem, or I should say won't be, when Leia passes and I go to the shelter for another companion.

If the people really want to provide a loving home and are refused by the shelter they will probably get a kitten from a back yard breeder ,,,not good, as it encourages indiscriminate breeding! End of rant!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
31-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #6

Seems pretty discriminatory to me. Judge the peoples ability to care for life not their tennancy status.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
31-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Seems pretty discriminatory to me. Judge the peoples ability to care for life not their tennancy status.
Absolutely agree - as long as te landlord is okay with the tenant keeping pets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
31-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #8

As with most things I believe each case should be taken individually. Obviously there has to be some guidelines but they should be just guidelines and not cast iron rules set in stone.

01-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
As with most things I believe each case should be taken individually. Obviously there has to be some guidelines but they should be just guidelines and not cast iron rules set in stone.
I agree, judge each potential home on it's merits. The rescue in question though states on it's website ' if you are not a homeowner do not waste our time and yours by applying for a cat'.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
01-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #10

To be perfectly honest, I had no idea any rescue DID this !!! Strikes me as very bizarre.