Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
08-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #41

Re: Kitten prices

I was also told they required one person in the household to be working full time. Well there was only myself and my son who was 2 years old and I only worked part time. I didn't argue my case with that one though as I had already been declined due to my son and the dogs on top of that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
08-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
I completely agree with you Smudgley. That's why I think CP hq should make a set of rules for ALL branches to stick to!
Yes Alex, that's a good idea. Rules / uidelines whch must be adhered to, so there would be consistency throughout.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
08-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #43

We struggle enough to find homes for the cats and I think we must be one of the least restricting CP branches there are. I wonder how these other branches find homes for any of the cats, or indeed find perfect fosterers
I work full time, have kids, dogs and cats!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #44

Have to work full time, Random? What about us retired people who have loads of time to dote on, love and spoil the cats? Some of those rules for not rehomng are absolutely nonsensical...I wish everyone were as sensible as Smudgley!!

Catsey Veteran

08-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Have to work full time, Random? What about us retired people who have loads of time to dote on, love and spoil the cats? Some of those rules for not rehomng are absolutely nonsensical...I wish everyone were as sensible as Smudgley!!
I suppose it might be different if you are retired? That's a good point. I just thought working part time would be better as i'd have more time at home with kitty! After all, I could have been working part time for £100 an hour if it was a money issue, they didn't ask that much, just said they required at least one person to be working in a proper full time job.

I also rang the RSPCA and they said the same about having a child under 5 and I didn't bother asking about the rest or even trying to pursue it any further.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
08-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #46

Totally agree Random. If children grow up with animals and are expected to show respect from them from the start, then I can't see a problem. These children are our future responsible pet owners! We owned 3 cats when my children were born, so they have never known a home without pets. My son is 20 and my daughter 18 and they both love animals and have the utmost respect for them. I htink it makes them kinder, more loving individuals. My daugher is doing her A levels at the moment, and if she is stressed, she cuddles her cat!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
08-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #47

I applied to the CP long time ago, before I got the boys, but as I had staffys no chance...
But, now I am suitable to foster feral kittens, I still have staffys and now a boxer too... and 5 cats...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: N/A
09-06-2008, 12:14 AM   #48

this is very silly.. don't they want children who will in 10 years or so grow up to be good owners and respect animals??
I have never tried to get a cat of them but I think I wouldn't get one anyway.. I have a Big German Shepard ( altho hes brill with cats and hes only 9 months) I have reptiles and I have a daughter whos 5 and due to my oh being ill I am hes registered carer and my daughter has Asd so I am her Carer aswell so none of us work.. I simply wouldn't have the time to work with my oh and my daughter.. he can't work because hes ill... seems very unfair to me.. I wouldn't like being treated like a child and being told I couldn't have a cat because I am in a situation where I simply can't work..there for I have had to go and buy a cat the same with all my animals.. me and my oh are striaght edge people we don't go out partying or anything so one of our enjoyments in our life is our animals who we treat like part of the family.. why should we not be allowed that because we have a child and can't work??

Catsey Veteran

09-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelinnie
this is very silly.. don't they want children who will in 10 years or so grow up to be good owners and respect animals??
I have never tried to get a cat of them but I think I wouldn't get one anyway.. I have a Big German Shepard ( altho hes brill with cats and hes only 9 months) I have reptiles and I have a daughter whos 5 and due to my oh being ill I am hes registered carer and my daughter has Asd so I am her Carer aswell so none of us work.. I simply wouldn't have the time to work with my oh and my daughter.. he can't work because hes ill... seems very unfair to me.. I wouldn't like being treated like a child and being told I couldn't have a cat because I am in a situation where I simply can't work..there for I have had to go and buy a cat the same with all my animals.. me and my oh are striaght edge people we don't go out partying or anything so one of our enjoyments in our life is our animals who we treat like part of the family.. why should we not be allowed that because we have a child and can't work??
This is what my father went through with getting Jennie, he does not work as he has been rendered to permanent sick/disability. He used to be a professional decorator, had his own business with my cousin but he fell off his ladder and fractured his neck, he has metal plates in his neck now but still has a lot of pain.

When we were looking for Jennie we didn't even bother with the CP as we knew what they would say and so went to our local rescue centre as a friend of the family works there and pulled us a few strings when he heard we were looking for a kitten. I couldn't tell you what their rules are normally though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
I completely agree with you Smudgley. That's why I think CP hq should make a set of rules for ALL branches to stick to!
I agree that consistency across various CP branches would be an excellent idea - but really only if the rules that HQ set out were sensible, promoted safe re-homing, allowed animals to be re-homed in loving homes where children of any age were present - and thereby allowing parents to take responsibility for teaching their children to care for a pet (vital, IMO) and allow re-homing to loving homes where other animals were present, so long as they rubbed along with each other on a reasonable basis.

Some branches will only re-home kittens if someone is at home all the time and others will only re-home if someone is working full-time - all seems demanding a "traditional" home and taking no account of individual cases or circumstances and thereby denying needy cat/kittens the potential to have a loving, caring home whatever the makeup of it might be. And, from various experiences mentioned in posts above not taking any account of what individuals have to offer.

Eeek I could go on - but I think we all think alike on this issue, don't we???