Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Raggie X boy
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Terrified...please help!

Okay, so I have posted something similar to this before a while ago, but I need to ask it again with a few more details.

I have the most gorgeous boy in the world...a little Rag cross ginger boy of 6 months. He was neutered and chipped a couple of weeks ago and is completely healed.

He enjoys going in the garden on a harness but it is clear he wants to go out on his own now to hunt flies Etc.

In my area, there is basically a square of largish gardens, wih a large communal 'field' in the middle. My neighbours are all nice normal people who would have no interest in being mean to/'adopting' my kitten.

There are also no large dogs or unneutered cats. However, though he is circled with green land, my cat could possibly go down a communal side entrance at the end of the big field, between two gardens (sorry about bad description) and enter quite a busy road. I am so scared about that. . .

He knows his name and turns up for food without fail and associates inside with immense fun and comfort, so do you think he will roam that far? (he would have to cross my garden, another two and probably some of the field to get out onto the road).

I see how excited he gets when he sees a bird and is always in such a good mood. It is so good for him to be outside...but the harness is restricting and he knows it. I don't want to deny him of the great outdoors but I need some reassurance.

Thank you so so much...I would really appreciate any answers/ experience

In case anyone wonders, he is much more Tom than raggie. He is fast and edgy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #2

Re: Terrified...please help!

Hi Pickalilly,
your question is a very difficult one and nobody can make the decision for you and your cat.
I can tell you what i have done for my circumstances and i can identify with your fears. Basicaly you have to weigh up the dangers against your boys pleasure of going out free.
Years ago i lived on a very busy main road and the cats didn't go free, they had a cat run outside.
Now i live in a fairly quiet cul de sac and Jerry has always gone in and out freely, he doesn't seem to roam much.
We rehomed an unwanted neighbours cat last year and i had the same worries about her as i didn't know the area . She lives on an estate and was eventualy allowed out, fortunately she doesn't go far and is fine.
I'm realy sorry i can't help you more and wish you luck in your decision.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

It's scary. Neutered boys do have a much smaller range than intact Toms, so that's good news.

I live in a semi-rural area, there are a few houses a country road through the village and my two come and go as they please. I used to take Pip as a kitten around the garden on harness just so that he would know where he lived. Since he has been neutered at 6 months, he has been free to do as he pleases. If that's what you decide to do, firstly let him out just before his supper and call him back to food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #4

Ours have an outdoor run which they love, it is attached to the end of the kitchen and they access the run through a cat flap. It is 6ft high by 5ft wide by 30ft in length. Its not the same as going free by any means but is a means to an end. We live on a very busy road on the seafront although we had the run built as the oldest has a problem with vaccinations and we thought if he couldnt have vac protection it would be next best thing to getting out.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggy's
05-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #5

This is something I have debated about with my 2 aswell, it's a tough decision to make. I suppose you will never know how far he is likely to go unless you take the plunge and keep a close eye on his whereabouts to begin with. It sounds like he would have lots of interesting green spaces to explore and the sounds of the road down the alley may put him off going through there to investigate. I'v decided to keep my girls in as our neighbours either side both have big dogs and the girls would need to cross there gardens to get anywhere. I'm sure your decision will be the right one, no matter what you decide

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
05-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #6

We don't let either of ours out at all. Too many have been stolen or gone missing around us. Over the last few weeks two cats have been killed by cars as well.
Joy doesn,t seem to bothered about the outside but Beau loves looking out of the window at the birds etc.
We bought them as little kittens so they would get used to being indoors, now at just over 7 months old they love playing around the house together and very rarely look to get out.
Maybe in the summer months we will look at alowing them out in the back garden,either in a "run" or attached to a lead.