Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #1

Kick-back Thursday

Well, I say that but with 2 arguing (already) boys in the house I don't expect I'll be kicking back too much!

Despite the rather wet and gusty weather, the summer holidays have officially started . . . and although they will be going into holiday care for some of the time they are at home with me for 2 days a week

Today I have to get some off-white (don't like brilliant white) exterior paint for the window which are being decorated next week, pick up my fence panels and take to the allotment, pay my cleaner, get money out for the scaffolder, and do some picking of dwarf beans which are also producing prolifically.

Will look out some recipes for stuffed courgettes and await Eileen's recipe and then I'll probably have enough to do both!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
15-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #2

Re: Kick-back Thursday

Morning Yola and all. It's absolutely chucking it down here today in buckets! Going to take Ceri up the day hospital later and then Tesco to take back a dress that didn't suit.

I'm officially retired as from today, 6 months to the day that Ceri had his stroke. I have very mixed emotions. I never thought this is how would end up finishing work but glad that I'm around for Ceri when he needs me and that I no longer have night shifts and unsocial hours ruling my life!

My colleagues are putting on a small tea at lunchtime in the birth centre, but I'm having a leaving 'do' in Septmber.

Better get my raincoat out, its going to be a wet one ... yuk!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
15-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #3

morning Yola and PP.
What weather to start the school hols, our schools don't break up untill next week.
I'm sure you will find lots of fun things to do with the boys.
PP congratulations on your retirement, even though you have mixed feelings.
Just make sure you have plenty of time for yourself as well as being a carer. I bet in a while you will wonder how you ever had time to work.
Cleaning up, then having my hair streaked and trimmed , then off to see a friend who has the very knotted Persian.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
15-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #4

PP - I can understand your mixed feelings about retirement under your circumstances. I hope your colleagues lay on a lovely "do" for you.

We had to wedge the bedroom door shut last night as it was banging so much with the wind having got up and it was disturbing our sleep. It's a funny old door, sometimes you can't shut it because it's swollen and sometimes it's loose and rattling. Yesterday's rain has now completely filled the rain butt so OH has transferred the drainpipe diverter thingy to the other one, here's hoping it gets filled up when it next rains.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #5

Morning all.

Happy retirement day PP.......you have done the right thing and enjoy but make sure you find something, that is purely for you......think that important to being a good carer in good health mentaly as well as physically. Enjoy your "do"
Yola...seems like Thursday is money dwindling day, for you if you're feeling flush I have a few bills you can pay if you are in the mood .... Enjoy the holidays.
Shelley oh a hairdo.......what colour streaks? and having a long haired cat yourself or any one else who does can they explain to me would you..... how do people let their long haired cats get so knotted.....I would have thought any long haired animal would require small daily groomings to prevent this. When my two oth short haired got older I started
grroming them although they had not been groomed before they adapted quickly and got to adore it even bellies.....was I just lucky?

Mrs H I have a shed door like that one time you can just about force it shut another it swings free....wood...eh? the rain was nicde though wasn't it. Just think of what the pup can find to roll in now its wet.....

Hey up just realised I have not updated what I am doing.....well not a lot having a nice day in the house then off out for a meal with a few friends tonight. Having a nice shower and trying out some new shower cream and body lotion...."Champneys Oriental" not being using anything scented since the op. But will avoid scar directly.

Have a good day all its wet and windy here. Need to reasses what to wear.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #6

Just back from seeing the nurse Happily messing around down the allotment, taking out tomato branches to help generate even more flowers that are already there, when I sliced my finger downwards on the bit where the 2 sheets of glass join. Blood everywhere - I'm convinced I could see bone (it's a horizontal 'graze' type slice rather than a deep linear one)

Thankfully OH's son was there to help a bit with putting stuff away, but I hotfooted it to the surgery where our lovely nurse dressed it with special seaweed-based dressing designed to stem bloodflow. Whole hand is throbbing now

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
15-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #7

Ouch Yola, I felt that... take it easy now. I hear good things about the seaweed dressings.

Had a lovely lunch in the birth centre, the girls all got together and we made a lovely table of food and desserts (some homemade, and were gorgeous!). They presented me with a lovely basket of patio flowers mixtures of fuschia, geranium,bizzy lizzy/begonia & ivy; so nice of them.

The rain has died away a bit now but this is the calm before the storm again tonight I fear. Batten down the hatches again Mrs H Picking parents up from train station later, they've been with relatives in Christchurch for a few days.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #8

Today is St Swithin's Day .......

St Swithin’s Day, if it does rain
Full forty days, it will remain
St Swithin’s Day, if it be fair
For forty days, t’will rain no more.

Hope the weather is good where you are!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #9

Hi, all! I forgot it was St. Swithin's Day, thanks for the reminder, Mags! We'll have a dry spell then as it's a lovely Summer day, cloudless sky, 29 C (63 F), lower humidity and a good breeze; welcome after the two days of heavy rains (needed but yucky!) Did my Whole Foods run, nothing special to do.

Yola, ouch, that must really hurt! PMd you the recipe, hope you like it. Kazz, are you using Bio Oil on the scar? Shelley, hair pics?? PP, sounds like a lovely retirement lunch. MrsH, I don't have a proper rain barrel but got several bucketfuls
by the downspout to water the houseplants with. The City water is treated with chlorine/fluoride (sp?)

Ebjoy the day!.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #10

Afternoon everyone!

I must officially make a protest about St. Swithin. He speaks with forked tongue (in other words I just can't bear the thought of 40 days of rain) so sorry, Swith but you can go rain on someone else's parade.

Ouch Yola - how lucky someone was there that is a scary thing to do. Not heard about seaweed bandages. Hope it works well.

Glad you had a good "retirement" lunch PP - at least you've had 6 months practice of how things go. I will never retire from work - as I work alone and for myself - but I can see how that could leave you feeling sort of "left out". But I am sure that it is never quite the same for women as for men anyway as we are certainly the more industrious gender! (IMO of course.)

As the wind is roaring and it keeps raining in a squally fashion, OH and I went into the Big Village - well it's Westbourne actually and it's not Big at all! I had to go to the post office and asked in the Co-op if they could put the notice up about Squiffy. They have what is jokingly called a "Community Noticeboard" - not large admittedly and mainly adorned by a Police notice. It's only for charity notices I was told!!! Police, a charity? IDTS! Anyway, the member of staff I spoke to said that yesterday a woman had been in asking to put up a notice about her lost cat and had not been allowed to, but she said she would keep my notice by the till until her manager comes back on Monday. I don't have a complaint with the staff - they are only doing as they are instructed. But, the Co-op and "Community Noticeboard" hmmmmmmmmmm. I can feel a letter coming on!!!

Then we went into the next much bigger town, Emsworth and went to the bank and the exceedingly good butchers for his wonderful bacon and some black pudding. After that we went to look at fridge/freezers/chillers to find out what we really want ................. and ended up at a pub for lunch. I had the best burger I've had in ages.

So now I am completely full and am off to top up on my tea intake.

Perhaps throwing salt over the shoulder, whilst holding a garlic bulb in your mouth, turning around 3 times counter-clockwise and hopping on one leg seven times will avert St. Swithin's prophecy???? I'm giving it a go.