Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
23-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #1

Some progress in the Garden

I spent ages in the garden yesterday and got loads done. My 'plan' is beginning to come together for this bit of the area. I still have loads of garden that is just plain grass. So lots of planning still to work out!

This is an old rotted wooden gate that is at the back of the hut. I was going to get rid of it but I like rustic type thing so have converted this area to a woodland walk (albeit very short walk) I planted the ivy about 18m ago and have been tying it ot the gate. Quite pleased with how it looks now. This faces NW - any ideas for a colourful climber?

This is the stepping stone path that I am going to lay. Leaving the stones on top of grass just now until I'm sure I have the spread ok for OH and me. They lead down to the gate OH put into the fence for me. Now I can walk the dogs straight from the garden into the field.

This is the other side of the path - you can just see the gate in the fence. The garden here and to the side is on a slope so I have built in some steps. Did this myself and am well chuffed. At the moment I have spread ash from the fire on them but they will be finished with small stones.

Chainsaw carved owl sitting at the top of the steps.

Tub at back of house planted up with ivy, daffs and this plant which I have inherited. Seems v hardy as it is on a very windy corner - any ideas as to what it is?

Lastly the ferns I planted about two years ago in an old broken half barrel. This is in the woodland walk area now christened 'dingly dell'. Hope to plant a hosta bed in this area too.

I have to admit to being well pleased with how it is beginning to come together.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #2

Re: Some progress in the Garden

I am very impressed with your work CM, especially those steps which look totally professional. That was hard work. The plant in your barrel could be a New Zealand flax, they do tend not to like the wind though, which would explain why some of the leaves have brown tips! Love the ferns (I am particularly fond of ferns) - hostas will look good with them if you are not cursed with too many snails and slugs. Still, your owl may keep them off!

Also love your rustic gate - what about a Clematis Armandii - a fragrant evergreen clematis, although not sure how hardy that would be in your area. Do you have a garden centre nearby that could offer advise?

Catsey Veteran

23-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I am very impressed with your work CM, especially those steps which look totally professional. That was hard work. The plant in your barrel could be a New Zealand flax, they do tend not to like the wind though, which would explain why some of the leaves have brown tips! Love the ferns (I am particularly fond of ferns) - hostas will look good with them if you are not cursed with too many snails and slugs. Still, your owl may keep them off!

Also love your rustic gate - what about a Clematis Armandii - a fragrant evergreen clematis, although not sure how hardy that would be in your area. Do you have a garden centre nearby that could offer advise?
Not NZ flax - have three of them. Not cordyline/cabbage tree either. Grows v low to ground and in rosette. Leaves have pink tinges to them. Have put a fleece on it now, just took it off to plant the bulds and ivy.

I have loads of slugs but I love hosts so much I am determined to try - will use all the weapons available to me to deter the little dears!!

Didn't know there was an evergreen clematis - might ask about that. I love clematis. There are two montanas growing over the fence just to the left of the gate.

Thanks for that idea.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #4

An agave, perhaps?

Catsey Veteran

23-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #5

Never heard of them - will go and have a look in a plant book shortly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #6

Really taking shape, looks good

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #7

Massive steps forward, really looking good your steps are great.
For a colourful climber why not try annual clibers like morning glory/sweet peas etc etc No idea on the plant in the tub....sorry

Catsey Veteran

23-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Massive steps forward, really looking good your steps are great.
For a colourful climber why not try annual clibers like morning glory/sweet peas etc etc No idea on the plant in the tub....sorry
Thanks I really am pleased with it so far.

The area is too dark for annuals climbers It is quite a cold corner - only gets sun at very end of day if at all.

Might ask on a couple of garden forums for ideas.

How is your garden plan coming along?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #9

My plan is in my head not yet into action the thoughts are not speakable yet but coming close....thanks.

Regarding the climber I have had a look through some books and would like to suggest.
CLEMATIS MONTANA GRANDIFLORA......useful for a Northly aspect.
CLEMATIS MONTANA TETRAROSE...again Northly aspect
HYDRANGEA, CLIMBING (Hydrangea anomala petiolaris)
A self-clinging vigorous climber which can reach up to 70ft (21m) in favourable conditions. In June flat heads of white sterile flowers appear in 7 to 10 inch (18-25cm) clusters, giving a magnificent display. This plant will thrive on a north or north-east facing wall. Not suitable for dry sites. Height up to 70ft...prune to desired height.

Hope that helps will keep looking.

Catsey Veteran

23-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
My plan is in my head not yet into action the thoughts are not speakable yet but coming close....thanks.

Regarding the climber I have had a look through some books and would like to suggest.
CLEMATIS MONTANA GRANDIFLORA......useful for a Northly aspect.
CLEMATIS MONTANA TETRAROSE...again Northly aspect
HYDRANGEA, CLIMBING (Hydrangea anomala petiolaris)
A self-clinging vigorous climber which can reach up to 70ft (21m) in favourable conditions. In June flat heads of white sterile flowers appear in 7 to 10 inch (18-25cm) clusters, giving a magnificent display. This plant will thrive on a north or north-east facing wall. Not suitable for dry sites. Height up to 70ft...prune to desired height.

Hope that helps will keep looking.
Might look at that hydrangea. Could try and entice it to grow up the tree. Only prob is the soil around there is quite poor and dry due to the trees.

I have two montanas climbing over the fence just to the left of that. Big clematis fan.

My plan is mainly in my head too! I have a wee book where I jot down ideas (some of which contradict each other) I also cut out things I like in magazines etc so I have lots of inspiration.