Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #1

Original railings

This is the picture, taken I suppose somewhere mid to mid/late 1800s. It was before the electric trams went in . . .

These are our original railings which were removed during WWII. There are still some remnants left further up the hill so we have a pattern to work to. One of our neighbours is an artist (art teacher) so he has rendered a drawing of them very clearly and exactly.

Our gate is the very last one on the right of the pic - I've had this picture in my 'collection' of old images of the house/road for some time but I'm glad it's going to be put to good use.

At the moment 4 out of the 6 are up for it. Our direct neighbour (the one who neglected his house to the point squatters moved in ) will be presented with the figures to do his section and we will do our best to persuade him to join in . . . the very end house is, strangly split into 2 flats - and has been for some time. The landlord's been in Singapore for yonks and only does the bare minimum in terms of maintenance. I doubt he'll be interested.

I'm quite excited about this project because not only it is going to make the house more aesthetically pleasing but it's another thing that will return it to original condition.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #2

Re: Original railings

That will look stunning Yola (and quite grand!). It would be wonderful if somehow you could get your 2 absentee neighbours to join in, especially the one next door to you.

When we were thinking about changing our garage into an "annexe" for MIL with French doors, we knew that we would have to have a "Juliet balcony" for safety sake and found a chap who does bespoke ironwork. We are very pleased with the results.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #3

Wow!! Defo get those railings back. They add class and drama to the houses.

Catsey Veteran

21-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #4

But you know I won't be wearing a skirt like that bird in the pic is wearing . . . I will DEFINITELY lower the tone with my combats

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
21-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
But you know I won't be wearing a skirt like that bird in the pic is wearing . . . I will DEFINITELY lower the tone with my combats
I could see you in a skirt like that Yola....
Make all the difference putting the railings back

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #6

Love that pic; it will look super when they're restored. How old is your house, Yola?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
21-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #7

What a great project. I love original features and hate when things are 'improved' to the point they no longer resemble their original purpose.

I hope all agree and the project is a great success.

Catsey Veteran

21-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Love that pic; it will look super when they're restored. How old is your house, Yola?
We're not 100% certain but somewhere around 1810-20 . . .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #9

That's a lovely age. Do you have anything there like our Historic Preservation Board here in Washington? Owners can't make any changes to the exterior of their homes if they are in an historic area like Georgetown or Capitol Hill...houses dating back to the early 1800s. You can modernize inside, but not make any meaningful changes to the exterior.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
21-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #10

Local authorities can create "Conservation Areas" where architectural or historic reasons make it important to preserve the nature of the area. It's very difficult to alter anything on the buildings in such an area so that seems to be very similar to your Preservation Board.

Individual buildings can be given "Listed Building" status, irrespective of where they are located, if there are aspects that make it worthy of preservation. Grade 2 listing is fairly common for old attractive buildings, Grade 2* is for more important buildings and Grade 1 is for national treasures such as Westminster Abbey etc.