Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
23-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #21

Re: Baskets, tubs, wall hung and freestanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Part of the fun is the watering I dead head as well and spot any ailments, I can see how they go and keep a "log" of what grows well where..... both words and pictures for the log.

Its a good way to unwind.
How and what do you log - I was going to start a garden log and was going to do a post asking what folks do.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #22

I log with pictures and then make notes in day diary...(boring eh) I start with what plants are put in what pot (honest you often forget) take a picture when they are planted up first. The not how they do...what does really well what strugles. I often put the same plants in different area's of the garden to see what do better where. (sun wise) also note when they are fed, if they pick up any "illness/bugs"

Same as the garden really with the real plants not potted.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #23

I have an old notebook where I enter blooming dates (goes back to 1970) ; also when things were planted and germination notes. Comments on what did well and what didn't for future reference; you do tend to forget. No pics, but now that I have PB I have loads there. Trouble is I sometimes neglect to note dates later in the season ...it's exciting in Spring when things are coming to life; do get forgetful sometimes later in the season so there's just a ?? in the box meaning it bloomed but no date.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
23-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #24

Good ideas - I have a 'journal' (old A4 pad) and try to note what I buy - where, how much I paid etc but wanted to expand to include more useful stuff. Photos will be a good idea and I think I;ll do that. It is so windy up here that nothing ever reaches full height so would be good to track what does best where.

I was thinking of trying to do a plant list on excel too.

Catsey Veteran

24-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #25

Also try noting what grows well if "X Y Z is adjacent to it or grown ie a windbreak.....if say a plant does not do to well then does is it outside factors like a bush/hedge grown...

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
24-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #26

oh how i miss my garden... i gave up with plantings a few years ago now.... we have been in drought for quite a few years now.... on stage 3 a water restrictions.... only allowed to water gardens for half an hour once a week not allowed to water lawns at all... and after just having one of the hottest summers on record a lot of my well established plants have died as well...even the more drough tolerant ones... so i envy you all!! would love to see pics of all your gardens though..

Catsey Veteran

24-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookyandjo
oh how i miss my garden... i gave up with plantings a few years ago now.... we have been in drought for quite a few years now.... on stage 3 a water restrictions.... only allowed to water gardens for half an hour once a week not allowed to water lawns at all... and after just having one of the hottest summers on record a lot of my well established plants have died as well...even the more drough tolerant ones... so i envy you all!! would love to see pics of all your gardens though..
Thats terrible as much as we in England moan about the weather we need the rain, I do feel for you in the midst of such a drought....no chance of even taking cuttings of your plants and putting those in pots and using the limited supply of water to keep those alive..

There is one thing about this board we appear to cultivate gardeners....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #28

That's awful Jo: I've heard about your terrible douught. Can imagine how frustrating it must be.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
24-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #29

Blimey, you lot are too well organised I bung plants that I get cheap at the garden centres into tubs and baskets, stick 'em outside and wait to see what happens

Catsey Veteran

24-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Blimey, you lot are too well organised I bung plants that I get cheap at the garden centres into tubs and baskets, stick 'em outside and wait to see what happens
Thats another way........