Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
18-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #11

Re: Baskets, tubs, wall hung and freestanding

I've planted out potatoes and peas.
Tulips are still in planters at door.

Have sown nasturtium and sweet pea.

Will wait a couple of weeks for other seeds as still v cold up here.

Haven't decided what to put in hanging baskets yet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #12

I don't do hanging baskets, too shady in front; will move the overwintered geraniums out on the porch steps when it's a bit milder; will be buying flats of impatiens for the planters. Oh, and I finally found a source of that blue impatiens I was raving about last year...they are so scarce it's only one to a customer, and I'm embarrassed at how much I paid for it... but hope to root some cuttings from it when it gets bigger.

Have started tomato, basil and pepper seeds; all flourishing in their little pots; will put out about May first, weather permitting, will also put in scallions. The potato-in-a-pot seems healthy, but awfully leggy; I think it needs to go outside but it's been so unseasonable.... Still harvesting the scallions that overwintered beautifully.

Catsey Veteran

18-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #13

DM - you must post pics of the impatiens when it is in flower.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #14

No hanging baskets here either - they never really thrived in my north-facing back garden. BUT - I have 6 baby tomato plants (bush variety) which will go into tubs in my 'tropical', south-facing front garden, 6 x traditional red geraniums for tubs in the back garden.

For the allotment (with overspill for home) I have nastursiums, morning glory and perennial sweet peas. Will get marigolds to keep aphids off the veggies later in the season.

Allotment plants include: raspberries, strawberries (in pots), blueberries, blackberries, 2 x dwarf apple trees, a whole raised bed of rhubarb

Veggies include: beetroot, parsnip, potato, jerusalem artichoke, asparagus, carrot, florence fennel, sorrel, broad and dwarf bean . . . I must be mad we'll see what thrives and survives.

I'll be down there again tomorrow so will update allotment thread with some pics

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #15

Look forward to those pics, Yola.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
DM - you must post pics of the impatiens when it is in flower.
Oh, I will! This is what it looks like; gorgeous color, had to have it! I love blue flowers.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #17

Well update he first 5 are already planted and going out during the day in in the evening....just in case.

1. Big wall trough has pink upright geraniums in with white trailing along with varigated ivy.

2. The three small wall troughs have red upright gerianiums in with red trailing verbena, and varigated ivy in. 1 trough in the front 2 in the back.

3. Raised tubs in the front have a mixture of crysthumums in yellow and soft cream.

4. 2 tubs in the front and 2 in the back have Maggies in (my Dads favourites).

5. 2 tubs for the front will have busy lizzies in. So will the wall mounted baskets in the front under the window, whereas the one by the front door will be a misture of all sorts...fushias and petunias....

6. The 3 x 18" hanging baskets in the back will be a kalediscope of colour.

7. The other big wall trough in the back could have anything in?

8. The two big square planters in the back will have red geraniums in upright and trailing unless those go in No 7 and I put something else in the square planters.

9. Few small pots of violas in.

10. The pointed large hanging baskket will also have a mixture of colour/plants in.

Those are just what I am dong with the annual pots/tubs/troughs/ baskets......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #18

Gracious Kazz - when you've finished you can come and help out here!

We have a chap coming round to make a little area for our Wedding Anniversary present of garden table and chairs next Monday. Today was the start of clearing out all the plants that are in the wrong place. Lots will be replanted, and my neighbour has asked for some, but there will be plenty left over if anyone wants Japanese anemones (white) or cuttings of geranimum (blue, white or pink) or euphorbia. The agapanthus will probably go in a bit pot and really not sure what to do with the little magnolia - but aim to replant in the ground or in a big pot as it's only very small.

Catsey Veteran

23-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #19

Gosh Kazz - that sounds lovely. They will be really colourful when in flower. - Lots of watering tho'.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #20

Part of the fun is the watering I dead head as well and spot any ailments, I can see how they go and keep a "log" of what grows well where..... both words and pictures for the log.

Its a good way to unwind.