Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
28-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #1

Herb Salads?

When I was on holiday last year I discovered a little bistro cafe which sold the most lovely leafy salads.

They were so tasty and were made up with lots of small leafy herbs and flowers with some pulses added in.

I would love to make similar salad at home but all the books I can find seem to be about various salad leafs which these were not.

Does anyone have either a link, idea or knowledge about herbs/flowers etc that may enable me to replicate this dish - or else I'll have to travel back and forth to the Isle of Skye 2/3 times per week

How I wished I had asked them what they used

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #2

Re: Herb Salads?

Any chance they might be on line; even some of the smallest restaurants sometimes are? Or could you get their phone number from Directory Assistance?

I know that nasturtiums, including the flowers, can be used in salads (peppery flavor). also violet blossoms. Lemon basil?

Will give it a look here, maybe my search engine can come up with something. Sounds very tasty!

Edit: found this one:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html

This one sounds good too:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...b-salad-recipe

Probably neither is what you're trying to re-create. It's so frustrating; I've tried for ages to fix battered zucchini strips like I loved at an Italian restaurant that we used to go to. near, but not quite the same .

Good luck !

Catsey Veteran

29-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #3

Thankyou for that DM - that was not a site that came up in my searches - 2nd link sounds v tasty, might try that out.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the place. Friend at work is going to Skye this summer so I have asked if she would go and ask for me. I just don't have the patience to wait until August!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #4

Have you seen this site, it gives you a list of edible plants that can be used in a herb salad...

Let us know when you find the ideal mix/recipe, CM - perhaps you could post it in our Recipe section...

Catsey Veteran

29-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Have you seen this site, it gives you a list of edible plants that can be used in a herb salad...

Let us know when you find the ideal mix/recipe, CM - perhaps you could post it in our Recipe section...
What an interesting link, Mags! Thanks for that. I think I'll try a few things from it...I'm a big salad fan as I think you know. I've used young dandelion leaves in salad; also other sprouting seeds besides mung beans and alfalfa....radish sprouts are very tasty!

This is making me hungry...quite a while till lunch!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #6

I suspect that if you just used some of those herbs your salad might be quite strong and wondered if the Skye restaurant might have mixed them in with some other salad greens. I have used some of these leaf salad mixes in the past, and have opted for the Italian mix this summer. I also grow rocket separately, because I love the flavour.

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Speedy+Seeds/List/

Just look at the leaf mixes on the above link.

Catsey Veteran

29-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #7

Another interesting link! I generally use the mesclun mix from Whole Foods and add things: tomato, cauliflower florets, radishes, green and red peppers, onions, shredded cabbage and a bit of white meat chicken from the salad bar (and a little extra chicken for Leia since she's decided it, too, is not people food!)

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #8

Thanks everyone - I'll have a try.

Got a packet of seeds - edible flowers, so will sow them next month and see what they produce.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
01-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #9

I know this isn't quite the same but have you tried Sainsburys Baby Leaf Herb salad?? It is very nice, and could be a good base for a fantastic salad.

Catsey Veteran

01-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
I know this isn't quite the same but have you tried Sainsburys Baby Leaf Herb salad?? It is very nice, and could be a good base for a fantastic salad.
Thanks - I'll look out for that too.