Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-01-2010, 11:28 PM   #21

Re: jake not well today

So sorry Jake is no better. I hope that you can get him to eat and take some water, as Kay says above that is really important. Years ago my cat had an abscess and wouldn't eat or drink - I managed to get him to lick some water off my fingers and gradually encouraged him to drink more. He recovered. Good luck - positive healing vibes for Jake.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
19-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #22

So sorry to hear about Jake, I do so hope that you can get him to eat some food, hope there is some improvement soon and that all goes well at the vets.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: bengal british shorthairs
19-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #23

Hello all
Thanks so much for your kind words. Im glad to say jake started eating this morning. Took him to the vets and they said being that hes started eating by him self they wouldn't do a blood test. Hes still a little weak and thank god hes such a big cat because hes lost quite a lot of weight. But the way he eats it wont take him long to put it back on. Once again thank you Mandy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
19-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #24

Glad Jake is feeling a little better and has started eating for himself.

I think I would still have had bloods done as there maybe an underlying issue but fingers crossed it is all cleared up whatever it was.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #25

Excellent news! But I;m a bit surprised that the vet hadn't done blood work on the initial visit. Hope he continues to improve; keep us posted.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #26

Good news that Jake has started eating on his own. Come on lad, put your weight back on slowly and steadily.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
19-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #27

I am so happy to her that Jake has started to eat again, you must be elated.
Hope he jets back to his full body weight soon .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
19-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #28

That's great news Mandy, you must be so relieved

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby female
James is Male
20-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #29

My field is people health so perhaps I should not really comment - however, this is about cats and they are special so here goes:

All the comments made here are excellent advice. I have seen children go down hill very quickly when dehydrated, yet get them on fluids or a drip and they can perk up very quickly. It would be unusual to give a child several injections without knowing what was going on and without bloods (at least) being done you only get part of the picture. As you probably know, symptoms such as not eating can be attributed to many conditions, (IBD / impacted bowel / viral infection etc) so guesswork is a minefield. My wife always says that docs are preoccupied with bowels rightly so, constipation and or diarrhoea can be useful indicators so should always be taken seriously, especially when there are other symptoms such as a high temp.

Did the vet explain what the injections were? (my guess would be vitamins and antibiotics / antiviral). Fingers crossed that he continues to eat and gain weight.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: bengal british shorthairs
21-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #30

Hi
Yes the vet gave him anitibiotic injections and also one to bring his temp down. She seems to think he had some kind of virus. I'm so happy that hes better now and getting back to his old self. Mandy