Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Domestic short hairs
03-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #1

Trying to source Diar-Eze for Robbie

Hi everyone,
We have two black and white boys, Robbie and Tom, who were "rescued" eight years ago. Robbie had runny motions but seemed otherwise healthy. He was feral when he came to us but now is a real sweetie, if slightly timid in certain situations. Unfortunately he will only eat dried food and keeps getting bouts of really watery diarrhoea. The vet has given him antibiotics and probiotics (promax). We have tried giving him bland James Wellbeloved food but he is getting worse. I have seen a product called Diar-eze from america on the internet and tried phoning to order, but keep getting an ansafone. Does anyone know if it is worth trying and if so, can get any from anywhere else please? I don't care what it costs as I am desperate to get Robbie better. Here's hoping. Thank you. Robbiesmum

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
03-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #2

Re: Trying to source Diar-Eze for Robbie

I get something called Diasanyl from the vets for foster kittens with runny tums, think its a similar thing to Diar-eze...you may be able to get it online...

04-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #3

Thank you for that Moli. I worked at a vets for 20 years but left a couple of months ago so I know of the product you mentioned and you are right, I should have thought of it myself. I will go and ask for some tomorrow. I went on line in a panic this morning as Robbie is looking really uncomfortable. I saw the fantastic reviews that Diar-eze has, but it is very expensive and Robbie is very difficult to feed as he will only eat dried food from the floor. He will not eat food out of a bowl, but will drink from his water bowl. I'm not sure how I could get Diar-eze into him but was willing to try. The diarsynal is a paste like the promax which I got him to take by smearing it on his side and he washed it off, so hopefully he will do the same with the diarsynal. Thanks again. Robbiesmum x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #4

Glad you got an answer, Robbiesmum, do come back and let us know how he is doing.

04-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #5

Thanks for that Dandysmom. Will keep you informed as to Robbie's progress. Fingers crossed. Robbiesmum x

Catsey Veteran

04-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #6

If he's that picky an eater doubt if the Diar -eze would have worked. I'm in the States, about 2+ years ago got some Diar-eze here and sent it to one of our members in the UK who was having a horrible problem with one of her cats and it worked. A pity that formulation isn't available in a paste form; some cats will simply not eat something sprinkled/mixed in with their food. They can be so difficult, bless them!

04-12-2009, 01:20 AM   #7

Robbie was in the rescue centre because his owners had left their 10 cats locked in their house and moved away. When the local council broke into the property most of the cats had died and only Robbie and another cat had survived. I don't think he had ever been handled or fed from a bowl and I think he must have lived on scraps thrown on the floor. He will sometimes eat a little tuna from a bowl but if I put his biscuits in a bowl he will leave them all day and never eats the wet food we put out for our other cat. The lady who ran the rescue home said he used to knock over the bowl of dried food and eat it off the floor. I have a plastic mat I put his biscuits on, but he tends to drag the food off it onto the floor. Putting paste on his side to wash off seems to be the best plan. I'll keep you informed. x

Catsey Veteran

04-12-2009, 03:57 AM   #8

Oh what a dreadful story! Poor boy, they never really get over a trauma like that. do they. My Patches was a compulsive groomer and of course was hairball prone; she'd never take Petromalt so the only way I could get her to was to smear the gel on her foreleg.

04-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #9

Hi again. Just seen your last comment. It is 7.30 am here now, so had gone to bed when you sent it. You are right of course, Robbie has nver really got over his fear of humans. He stlll backs away a little when I or my partner, Keith, approach him. He is a very happy boy now though and loves stretching out in front of the fire to be combed and enjoys a quick cuddle, but only for a minute or so. Will get off to work now. Will let you know how I get on, x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
04-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #10

Hi RobbiesMum!! Welcome!!

Have you tried cooking rice in stock (fish, beef, chicken or whatever he likes best!) and boiling fish & chicken to mix in with it? Don't change it instantly but mix in with his dry food for 7 days adding less dry & more rice mix everyday!!

The blandness oftens helps settle their digestive system or try another brand of food for sensitive stomach like Hills or RWC?

Hope it helps!