Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: domestic longhair
21-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #1

Constant Loss of Balance

Hi Everyone,

I am an owner of a beautiful 15 1/2 year old cat named Fluffy. Yesterday he would continuosly topple over from his hind legs every few steps he took. I got very nervous and brought him to an emergency pet clinic and had him examined. The vet offered no help or ideas as to what it could be..this left me very frustrated and sad. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be, i'm assuming his ears were checked in the physical exam which would rule out an ear infection. They checked his sugar levels and they came back normal and they also did a blood gas which presented a Urea of 33.6. The vet told me he wanted him hospitalized or to put him down, hospitalization costing 1300 altogether. He kept mentioning he was dehydrated so he gave him sub-q fluids and I asked to bring him home. He has an appetite and is drinking as well. Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be? His vet bill is already high and the result was nothing. Blood and Urine samples are running between $475-$500 and I would a better understanding of hs condition before that. The vet gave me two options..bloodwork and hospitalization(minimum 1300) or humane euthanasia. I obviously took my cat home where I knew he would be comfortable and I could explore more options.

It's heartbreaking watching him want to be pet and eat but continuosly falling. Any advice is appreciated

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #2

Re: Constant Loss of Balance

I am very sorry for you and Fluffy. As he keeps falling, a stroke can probably be ruled out. My previous cat had a mini-stroke but was already able to walk, albeit a bit shakily by the time we got him to the vet. He recovered completely. I don't like the sound of your vet at all - for all that money I would expect information at the very least. Is there any other alternative in your area? If ears have been ruled out ???? I would suspect a neurological problem. I have no other experience to offer. I do hope you can make Fluffy comfy at least until you decide on further action.

Hopefully someone else will be along to offer more advice. I do sympathise with you ((((HUGS))))

21-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #3

Hi Angie,

Thank you so much for your support, i really appreciate it. I called a few other clinics and they are all asking between $200-$250 for a exam and work up and i'mot in the position the pay all t his money for just an initial work up. I am struggling and so upset over the idea of putting him to sleep, and i can not bare the thought of doing that if it turns out to be something small. I'm really stuck and wish i never rushed him to that particular vet.

**hugs to you too**

Cat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #4

It could still be an ear infection. It is an infection in the inner ear that causes this problem, so you wouldn't be able to see an infection. Our Sooty came in the one night and was falling all over, he had an ear infection, was given a steriod injection and an antibiotic injection, along with a course of antibiotics, his ears were clean.

At you cat's age it could probably be a number of things, but without ruling out an ear infection and then doing bloods you won't find out. If his urea was high, that might suggest his kidneys are staring to deteriorate but a renal diet at this stage would help, especially as his creatinine levels are not abnormal.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #5

I don't have anything else to add - but I will endorse the inner ear thingy as I get that sometimes and it's completely debilitating.

I would however like to extend my sympathy because having to watch your pet in this condition must be very upsetting.

I really do think you should - funds permitting - explore as many options as you can. It could be something as simple as inner ear infection/inflamation however it could be something more serious - the main thing is being in possession of all the facts.

Fluffy doesn't go out does he? You don't think he's had some kind of head trauma due to a car or other kind of accident?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #6

I wish I had a constructive answer; think the ear is probable or a neurological condition. It's so horrible when you don't know what it is or whether to proceed with tests. Sending good vibes for Fluffy; do let us know what is happening, please. (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #7

Hind leg weekness can be for a number of reasons such as anemia, low pottasium, thrombosis and high phosphorus being a few of, many of these are conected to CRF.
Is it possible to get a second opinion from another vet in your area?
http://www.felinecrf.org/

21-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #8

I want to thank everyone for their great support, it really means a lot to me during this difficult time. Fluffy is still falling over but in okay spirits. He's drinking his water and eating his food and is always hungry for more, this could also prove to be troublesome though from what I hear. I have tried calling a few vets and they all say the same thing, it is difficult to help without another physical exam and blood tests. I was sitting with him earlier and petting him and feeding him some treats when i began to feel his back legs, the legs that he loses control of. He began to growl and pull away whenever i touch him near his hips.

I'm begining to think it could be arthritic pain, so i went out and bought him some all-natural herbal products for cats with hip and joint pain along with some wet food made especially for cats with urinary tract problems. I hope i can keep him comfortable untill i can decide who i feel is best to give him a second opinion. After last night's episode I am extremely nervous. The position I was put in last night was terrible and very inconsiderate, I hope none of you have to go through this.

I will update you all again soon, right now he is curled up on the bed

Cat

21-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #9

Hi Elaine,

yes, this is also a consideration the test results last night showed he had a Urea of 33.6 which is not considered complete kidney failure but maybe a sign of it. Unfortunately, my vet was not helpful at all in discussing other possible issues, all he could talk about was how many tests it was going to take and the option of humane euthanasia. His potassium was also normal and his blood sugar was at 4.1

Cat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #10

Catrina, I have already been through it so understand how you must feel.
Please do get a second opinion as soon as you can, most of what can cause such a condition are very serious and need to be treated as well as the underlying cause.
I dont mean to sound patronising so forgive me if I am coming across that way.
Does your cat eat wet or dry food? If wet, then try adding a little more water to it just to keep him hydrated. Has there been any vomitting at all? Urinating more than usual? Stronger smelling urine?