Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #1

Cat's Throat

Just a quick health question here -

Should you be able to feel a cat's larynx through it's fur?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #2

Re: Cat's Throat

I don't know if I should, but just did. I could feel what I assume is the feline equivalent of the Adams apple in humans, Why do you ask, Angie?

Catsey Veteran

29-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #3

I felt Kizzy's today as her collar was off - she doesn't react to my feeling it, so presumably it's not sore or causing distress. I wonder if she's lost weight, although she looks fine, has a beautiful coat and is acting normally, even a bit "kittenish", she eats - she's never been a hearty eater, she drinks normally and I presume her other functions are normal too.

If she wasn't so scared of being put in the carrier and taken to the vet, I'd pop her in to the vet nurse for a weight check. As it is, I'll try and weigh her here.

Catsey Veteran

29-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #4

Leia didn't react either. I know what you mean when your special girl is so terrified of a vet visit ... you tend to put it off till surer.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
29-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #5

Angie, just has a feel at Jerrie's throat and can feel alittle round lump at the front, he's not hyperthyroid so i assume it's normal.

Catsey Veteran

29-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #6

Thanks Shelley - it's not a lump, it's more like the actual cartilage of the larynx, I have wondered about thyroid trouble. If the thyroid was enlarged, do you think it would be able to be felt? I haven't felt anything on either side of the larynx though. So I'm just thinking weight loss atm.

I'll try weighing her tomorrow, but she is a squiggler and doesn't much care for being picked up!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
29-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #7

i would think that if the thyroid was enlarged you would be able to feel it, you could feel Tom's which was quite big, he was Hyperthyroid. Hope everything is ok with Kizzy

Catsey Veteran

29-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #8

Well, Leia was recently diagnosed with early hyperthyroidism and I could feel a little roundish lump.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
30-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #9

Youcan feel a goitre in a cat, that is how the vet initially became suspicious of Helga being hyperthyroid. At 9 she's quite young to have developed it, so its definately worth a vet visit.