Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Ginger moggie.
10-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #1

Could my cat have hyperthyroidism?

Sorry if this has been written before but someone has suggested that my moggy my have this problem- and I was wondering if anyone could help me out!

She is about 10 years old, female and ginger! I have had her for about 7 and a half years from rescue

She has always been very vocal and quite hungry but over the last few months maybe even longer she has been very demanding for food! She has a voracious appetite and will usually eat 6 or more single serve meat portions a day- she doesn't like to eat dry as her teeth aren't so good

She is quite a small cat and she will easily drop weight if she doesn't eat as much as I have mentioned, she is grumpy and recently her coat doesn't look as lovely as it used to!

She is wormed upto date with drontal, and regularly sees the vet

Just wondering what would be involved if she did have this problem and what kind of costs would be involved? (no insurance)

Sorry about the smileys, my full stop button is broken!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
10-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #2

Re: Could my cat have hyperthyroidism?

It could easily be hyperthyroidism. Initially she would need a blood test to be taken and sent off to labs, if it is confirmed as this you have a couple of treatment options. You can use tablets, get a thyriodectomy done or have radiotherapy. I personally wouldn't do the radiotherapy- it's very expensive and your cat has to go to a vet hospital for 6 weeks. The op can be risky and us not always a full cure ( one of ours has had this), tablets are usually very effective but need to be given daily and at my vet are about 0.50p a day (although some need 2 or 3 a day).
Once treatment starts you need to do fairly regular tests until you cat is within the normal range, once there my vets recommend 6 monthly blood tests as their levels continue to change throughout their lives. If going for the op you usually need to use tablets to stabilise your cat before to op.

Cats owned: Ginger moggie.
10-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #3

Farthing, thank you for your advice- I will take her along to the vets for a blood test next week!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #4

There is a third option available instead of pills ... very helpful as some cats like mine are impossible to pill. It's a gel applied daily to the inside of the ear; I don't know if this is available in the UK, ask your vet. It's methimazole TDG 2.5 mg, 30 day supply is $34.33. Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
10-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #5

Hi, it does sound as if your cat may have hyperthyroidism, have nothing to add to the good advice you have been given except to say my cat was successfuly treated for several years with tablets. It's important to keep a check on kidney function once treatment starts as an overactive thyroid can disguise a kidney problem.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
11-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #6

Yes, farthing's 1st post sums it up succinctly.

I was in the same positon as you a few years ago (if it is what you think). My girl is also very tiny, and a dull coat, eating loads, and losing a bit of weight were the signs with Mitzi. Also hyperthroid cats often have that classic pinched look to their face. Later signs will find them sitting out in the rain just to keep ther little bodies cool, and crying at night. This was the 1st sign I noticed the 1st time I came across hyperthyroidism in an otherwise happy and healthy cat.

As regards managing things I went for the tablets option which gave me time to consider the op, but I stayed with the tablets. I didn't like the sound of radiotherapy despite my vet saying that she would not feel nauseated with it..The op is a big one, esp if both sides need to be done and can be traumatic as the calcium levels are balanced immediatley after the op, also there is no guarantee that you will not have her tablet free in the future at some stage. Perhaps someone on here may be able to give a more balanced viewpoint on this as there are plenty of cats who have had this op who are fine and tablet free. Again it's all personal choice. But I have gone for the Vidlata. This made Mitzi sleep, sleep, sleep for the 1st few days, but then her system got used to it.

You must also consider to a certain extent your lifestyle and how much time and care you are willing to invest in your girl. What's her name by the way? If you are not there who will tablet her, how easy is she to pill, and how certain can you guarantee that she will get her daily meds if you have to go away?

If the ear gel is avialable in the UK yet that would be the option I would definitely go for, but I don't know that it is just yet.

Let us know how you get on. Hugs for your 'grumpy' girl!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: tabby cat
20-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #7

Minnie had hyperthyroidism and was allergic to the tablets so we went for the op which was very successful.That was 2 years ago.The hyperthyroidism was masking a kidney problem which she takes Fortekor for(1 tablet a day).Minnie is doing really well and you wouldnt know anything was wrong with her.
Hope everything is going well for you and its sorted.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
21-09-2011, 01:47 AM   #8

Hope you get sorted xx