Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
23-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #1

Very ill 5 week old kitten....

Hello

My friend has just popped over with a 5 week old kitten to ask me for advice...

The kitten is very small for 5 weeks and is very weak. She has been with its mother until now but everytime she has her mothers milk she has diarrhea. My friends sister has been bottle feeding her special kitten forumula. She was taken to the vets today and they were told that she had cat flu and needed to be bottle fed milk every 2 hours.

My friend is happy to do this but didn't really have a clue what else she could do.... the kittens nose was blocked so I suggested that they wiped her clean with cotton wool and water and not baby wipes.

Any other advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Tanya

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
23-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #2

Re: Very ill 5 week old kitten....

Gosh that is so young Tanya. I think you've given good advice about the nasal mucus, wet wipes and such, have perfumes added. Your friend has a very demanding job ahead, has the kitten had treatment for the cat flu? an antibiotic jab at least.
Regular feeding up will be the first thing, also wiping the kitten's bottom to stimulate a bowel motion too. Hope the kitty gets well, fingers crossed

Almost a Veteran Member

23-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #3

Thank you.

The kitten had an injection at the vets that is as much as I got from her - I am guessing it was an antibiotic one.

I am going to ring her now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
23-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #4

Poor baby
Not sure if they've tried it already but maybe something like bisolvon which helps to break down mucous. Popping kitten in a wire basket in the bathroom and running the shower on hot to create steam can work well too.
Such a little one can become dehyrated very quickly so maybe something like Lectade? In the past I've given subcutaneous fluids as well but it can be a bit uncomfortable.
Oh, and gently giving her a rub with a flannel can make him feel like she's being washed by mum and is sometimes comforting.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
23-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #5

You can get a powder from the vets called Bisolvon which you sprinkle on their food or in the milk, it will clear their noses, I used it many times with foster kittens who had cat flu, also take them into the showeroom when having a shower, the steam helps, and keep them warm, put a hot water bottle under the blankets they sleep on...

Almost a Veteran Member

23-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

Just spoke to my friend again... the kitten had a poop this morning but hasn't had one since - should she be worried?

She has a huge tummy but it is very soft - is that ok? (I read online that it can be a problem if the tummy is hard?)

She said she is making the kitten take its feed but it really doesn't want it. She is feeding it kitten formula. She is keeping the kitten warm by having it up her top!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
24-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #7

Hi Tanya,

I'm sure your friend is treating the baby kitty with all the love in the world . Moli and Pinklizzy have loads of experience with cats & kittens, so I would take their advice on board. Being a mum to a grown up cat who came to me with cat flu, I think kitty sounds well and a soft tum is ok, I suppose a daily motion is good in view of the fact she had diarrhea before.
The kitty must be feeling very warm and loved up your friends jumper Kitty is in my prayers x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #8

Best advice already given - fingers crossed for this little one and healing vibes being sent.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
24-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #9

A very large tummy that feels 'doughy' can be a sign of a heavy worm burden. It might be an idea to worm her with something like panacur although I'd advise she spoke to her vet first to check she's strong enough.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
24-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #10

Poor precious one..

Try and keep the tiny kitten at an ambient temperature; cradled in a jumper is great, it allows for a perfect heat transfer but it's not really that practical, especially at night. What's the kitten's night time set up for warmth Tanya?