Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
19-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #1

Homeopathic mix after surgery or trauma

My boy has just had minor surgery and I thought I'd share this homeopathic remedy that was recommended for him to help shock and aid healing and bruised tissue after surgery:

The liquid mix is called SURGERY 30C and I have listed below what the mix is made of.

The following info. about each ingredient comes from the book 'A Veterinary Materia Medica & Clinical Repertory With a Materia Medica of the Nososdes' and is written by Vet George Macleod MRCVS, DVSM, Vet. FF Hom).

1) ARNICA MONTANA:
Made from: The whole plant called Leopard's Bane

The well proved symptoms of poisoning by this plant determine its use in all conditions where brusing and injury occur and where the skin remains unbroken. It reduces shock and should be a routine prescription before and after surgical interference, including tooth extractions. Given after perturition it will hasten recovery of bruised tissues while its use during pregnancy will lessen the danger of difficult labour. It is of use in retinal and other eye haemorrhages, while as a heart remedy it restores tone to weakened muscle. Arnica may also be used externally as a liniment in the treatment of sprained or bruised tendons and muscles.

2) BELLIS PERENNIS: made from the whole plant daisy

Bellis is a useful remedy for aiding bruised tissues, including post-operative states. Sprains and bruises come within its sphere of action (c.f. Arnica). Given post-partum it will hasten resolution of bruised tissue and reduce bleeding. Erysipeloid conditions of the skin may require it.

3) CALENDULA (Calendula Officinalis): made from leaves and flowers of marigold

This is the chief remedy to be considered when dealing with all open wounds. When dealing with jagged wounds involving damage to nerve endings it should be mixed with Hypericum. It is of great value in healing the gums after dental extractions rapidly reducing pain and hastening healing. As an adjunct to its local use it should be given internally when it will be found to be of value in all potencies.

4) HYPERICUM (Hypericum Perforatum): made from the whole fresh plant St. John's Wort

This remedy is of prime importance in the treatment of lacerated wounds where nerve-endings are damaged. In spinal injuries, especially of the coccygeal area it produces excellent results. The specific action on the nervous system has decided its use in the treatment of wounds likely to lead to tetanus and in this connection it is usually ulcerated with Ledum. Given early it helps prevent spread of the toxin along the nerve sheath. The pain of open wounds is quickly dispelled by this remedy and it should be used externally as a 1/10 lotion. If abscess formation develops after a wound Hypericum will be found useful in hastening resolution and draining the area. Conditions affecting the spine. e.g. disc trouble in the Dachshund breed, are generally greatly improved when this remedy is employed.

5) STAPHISAGRIA: made from seeds

This remedy may benefit some cases of cystitis, especially in the female subject. Skin symptoms accompanying the renal and nervous states are a useful guide to its selection. Its action on the eye has determined its use in tarsal growths and blepharitis. It is a useful post-operative remedy being able to restore tissues to normal in a short time, thus reducing the convalescent period.

I have coupled this with Extract from 'Homeopathy for a Healthier Cat' by Mark Elliott BVSc., MRCVS, VetMFHom, and Tony Pinkus BPharm., MRPharmS, LFHom.
Mark Elliott is a practicing homeopathic vet here in Hampshire and has treated my cat:

'Choice of potency will depend on a variety of factors. In principle acute symptoms in a healthy cat will respond quickly to a high potency (30 or perhaps 200 in some cases). However a slow healing condition, or a very poorly cat, cannot respond quickly and is best treated with a lower potency repeated at intervals to suit the animals response. A high potency is very powerful and should be used with care, especially when the animal is weak and cannot tolerate the strong response elicited by the medicine' ...'Common sense and observation are the best guides, ad if you are in any doubt either consult a homeopathic vet or err on the cautious side and use only low potencies (30 and below) until you have gained sufficient experience.'

'Administering the remedy
In order to act the remedy must come into contact with a clean mucous membrane such as the mouth.' ..'All remedies should be kept in a cool, dry, dark place, away from strong odours , a drawer is perfect.'

The above homepathic vet advised me on where to get my homepathic treatments from and this is who I have always used and found them to be very helpful and reasonably priced with a fast delivery. AINSWORTHS HOMEOPATHIC PHARMACY (London UK) 02079 355330.

Dose: I'm giving 2 drops (one dose) 3x p/day for 3 days, then one dose 2-3x p/day thereafter until nearly healed.

I'm not intentionally promoting any company or person mentioned here, this info is merely for informative purposes only, it may be useful for anyone else who is considering going down the homeopathic route.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #2

Re: Homeopathic mix after surgery or trauma

That's very valuable information, Truth. I believe in homoeopathy and coincidentally used to visit Mark Elliott's practice when I first moved to the area. I have his booklet "Homoeopathy for a Healthier Cat" and also George MacLeod's "Homoeopathy for pets".