Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #31

Re: Oedema on ear flap, 2 months now. Operate or leave?

I was thinking the same as Angie ......

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
27-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #32

I'm happy with the way she handles animals, very gentle and calm, can't fault her on that; and she doesn't overcharge me like some vets do (I have fallen out with the proprietor in said practice with insisting on giving antibiotics that were known to make her sick and then charging me for the correct one when this vet was told by me at the consultation that they didn't agree with her!) :/
She knows my limitations, been seeing her for years. So I trust her on those two points. She is young so to be fair the experience that would naturally come with that takes time.. and there are a couple of issues that are still on going with Mitzi that I wonder if they can't be resolved...again, probably experience.
Are you thinking I should get a second opinion on this one, what would that involve..?I don't really want to change vets but I know what you're saying and maybe I do need to think on this one. I think I'll post a seperate thread on what some of the other posters think re Mitzi's bottom because we've never got to the bottom (pun unintended) of that one and this thread is now being taken over with a different topic. Perhaps people like pinklizzy may be able to enlighten me on what that might be. Thanks angieh and dandysmom, you've got me thinking.

Catsey Senior

29-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #33

Update:

Chesi's healing, have to keep expressing the fluid but I think it's knitting together now and fingers and toes crossed he's on the mend.

Soft downy fur and bristles beginning to grow

Resting

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #34

Oh bless him - fingers crossed it stops filling at some point.

Re your vet - how many vets are there in the practice? It is certainly on the plus side that you are happy with the calm way the vet handles your cats and of course some things only come with experience BUT IMO a young vet, although he/she may lack experience should be really up on practice and knowledge. I have a young vet to thank for reassuring me about putting Merlin in for cyst removal at an advanced age - other vets had not probably even thought to try and reassure me about the improvements in anaesthesia.

It's a shame you've fallen out with the senior vet - but are there any other vets in the practice. Perhaps you could ask your current vet whether a second opinion could be asked for? You can be as diplomatic as you like so as not to offend but obviously you want the best possible treatment for your cat.

Catsey Veteran

29-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #35

Poor baby, glad that it's healing. Sorry to sound like an echo, but Angie and I apparently look at many things the same way, so I once again say I agree with her opinion.

Catsey Senior

07-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #36

Had to go back for another 'expressing' to the vet..No matter how much I try and keep the hole open it just keeps closing up, so fast!

We are now I feel back to the start as within 24 hours despite me trying to keep the hole open it has just continued to close up and I have one depressed boy on my hands and one uncomfortable and filled up ear again. He has also put on weight and is either sleeping or sometimes crying to go out. I'm also worried if this lifestyle goes on for too long like this he'll get a FUS recurrence. I'v told my vet I'll be getting a 2nd opinion, nothing personal, the op just hasn't been a success and I need to find out if there are any other options. I just want him sorted and back to the healthy and happy boy that he was asap, darling man.

When he was well and happy

Can't get the recent photo to upload@the mo.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #37

Poor guy, hope you have more success after the second opinion. xxx

Catsey Veteran

08-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #38

I'm glad you're going for a second opinion; this has been going on for quite a while and the poor little guy really isn't any better .......

Catsey Senior

08-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #39

As a last ditch attempt to resolve things with my vet it has been suggested Chesi has anti inflamatories, ..more drugs :/ This will at least ease the discomfort and allow him to go out again without the distraction of shaking his head every now and then. He's an active boy and needs his excercise. But I'm holding off for now and have instead booked him in with a vet who runs his own practice and has had 40+ years of experience with this, as he's so busy it'll mean waiting until Monday but it'll be worth it and at least then I'll know that between us all we'll have done all that we can given the situation.

But he's happier now I think, he started to vent off excess energy in the middle of the night and this a.m by having a mad few minutes running and skidding on the floors and doing a few circuits of the sofa, batting toys and bits of paper, bless him. Oh, and sadly a house spider has lost his life due to having a nosey while Chesi was on the litter tray!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #40

Hope your appointment with Chesi and the new vet today holds better hope/information. He is such a handsome boy.