Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
18-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #21

Re: Oedema on ear flap, 2 months now. Operate or leave?

Here's a photo taken of him today.

He's still quite spaced out and looks actually quite grumpy in this photo which belies his true affectionate love junkie nature!

I've posted it because it might help give anyone who has a cat with an aural haematoma (which is actually what it's called) an idea of what to expect post surgery.

The vet went better than I thought, vet said she's never seen a cat heal so super fast, the hole was closing already so she did the unenviable task of squeezing it and showed me how to do it over the next few days, he was good as gold. Fingers x'd it's as simple as that and that he continues to heal.

Thanks everyone for the super healing vibes, praps they are working just a little too well!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #22

What a handsome fellow! Glad he's doing so well. I don't have any pics of my boy after his hematoma, as I recall, it's been a long long time, his ear wasn't quite so crinkly afterwards. Super news that he's healing that fast.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #23

What a truly lovely boy ..... healing slowly to allow excess blood to escape vibes from me.

Glad to hear Ainsworth's were helpful and hope the remedy works for your handsome boy.

Catsey Senior

24-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #24

well mr crinkles (Chesi) is doing fine in himself but I'm still having to drain his ear up to 3x a day. Usually this involves reopening one of the holes (he has 2) with a wet cotton bud and letting the clearish bloody fluid come out, which is so unfair on him, it must hurt, but he's such a good boy.
Vet told me to do this for about 3 days, but it's now almost a week and if it's not done it just fills up with fluid and seems like we're back to the start.

Anyone any suggestions? Am I being too hasty and impatient..Will the fluid eventually be reabsorbed..It hasn't before so I doubt it would now.

I may just contact my vet before the weekend and see what she says. It may just take a little longer than she thought. It seems to be the hard scar tissue that's forming in some places that's the only thing that's stopping that part of the ear flap from filling up again. I'm thinking this could turn into another op resulting in a flapless cat at the moment. :/

Catsey Veteran

24-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #25

Call the vet! Poor boy, poor you! (((hugs)))

Catsey Senior

25-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #26

Phew, all is well again..I hope!

After trying to keep one of the holes open which is healing waaay too fast and phoning the vet because I have an impossible wriggly worm of a patient (and I don't want to distress him if I can't get a hold on him to do the job properly) Chesi's been to the vet and she just pulled out a cotton bud and gently reopened the hole gently, which is what was needed.

This is all a huge learning curve for me, I've nursed past cats through many things but never come across an aural oedema before. Now I know I just have to keep trying to keep one of the 2 holes open until the sides naturally knit together. This could take 2 weeks according to my vet.
I'm looking at the little angel now, snoring away on the pillow, shame he has to go through all this, it must be painful for him, but I must be thankful that it's transient and treatable, I hope.

Catsey Veteran

25-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #27

Oh poor boy - I expect that the vet is on a learning curve too as she didn't tell you that this might happen. I am hoping that the healing process does happen gradually and the hole knits slowly ..... thinking of you and Chesi.

Catsey Veteran

25-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #28

I must have been really lucky! When my boy developed an edema on his ear the vet just lanced it, and I suppose applied some antiseptic, this was way back in the late 60s, and that was it. Poor Chesi, hope he'll be just fine soon.

Catsey Senior

26-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #29

Ear hole closing up on me and Ches again, e-gads! I swear that cat's got super healing powers! :/ I'm gently prodding and squeezing it with cotton buds like the vet did but even if I do it every 4 hours it keeps closing in on me in between times. Added to the fact my dear girl's anal gland is oozing and very sore for her again it's a poorly feline household.

..So collar for her, extra tlc and hand feeding and probably off to the vets again to get some anitbiotics for her. My main worry is she's so frail at the moment what with her eosinophilic granuloma comlplex and her underlying hyperthyroidism (which has been easily stablilised with tablets for the past few years)..I'm quite worried as to what the vet might suggest with treatment, half expecting her to say that we should let her go rather than treat..the last time I saw my vet she reckoned Mitzi had about 3 weeks left but she strengthened, the little fighter. I love them so much but they do worry us so!

Catsey Veteran

26-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #30

I'm not sure I like the sound of your vet truth - hope you don't mind me saying. Are you happy with her?