Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
15-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #1

Oedema on ear flap, 2 months now. Operate or leave?

My cat has had an oedema for a long time now, he has been to the vet 2x as it was not being absorbed back into his body as it should. I have done a little research on this and everything points to leaving it to reabsorb, op's on cats ear flaps are not that successful and as my boy is getting on a bit and very nervous of the vet I do not want to go back for a possible op unless absoloutely neccessary. His flap is now showing the classic curling over the tip and he is losing the shape to his ear, this I'm told is inevitable, but it's like a little ballon and is warm to the touch and quite pink, he is flicking and shaking a little with it now so fat chance of it going down I fear
Does anyone have any experience of this and healing time, anyone? ..before i go dashing back to the vet or let anything happen I might regret. Thanks in advance.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #2

Re: Oedema on ear flap, 2 months now. Operate or leave?

My Siamese boy had a bad edema on one ear, he had to spend the night at the vets after they lanced it. The ear was perfectly normal afterword; this was many years ago in the late 60s.

Catsey Senior

15-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #3

Thanks dandysmom. It's good to hear you've had some success with this op.
I may have to go down this route altho' how much longer I can safely leave it is another question. I may book him in this week sometime and see what the vet recommends or I might hold out a little longer just to be sure it won't go down first. I'll take it day by day.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #4

Hi - I've had no experience of a cat with ear oedema, but I will say that my dear old Merlin had a horrid cyst on his cheek - I put off putting him through the operation for quite a while, taking him to the vet every so often to have it drained. Then a new vet arrived at the practice and explained how anaesthesia had progressed in recent years and that an operation was not out of the question, even given that Merlin was over 20 by then. He had pre-op blood tests and went in for his op. It was a very worrying time, but he came through it and he was so much more comfortable I just wished I'd had the nasty thing removed earlier.

Good luck with whatever you decide - it is a very hard decision, but if you trust your vet to take all precautions possible and it will make your cat more comfortable, if it were me I'd go for it.

Catsey Senior

16-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #5

@Angieh my girl had a cheek cyst appear almost overnight one weekend, half of her face was swollen and it looked shocking. I got her to the vet on the Monday where it was discovered she also had to have 3 teeth out..all this at aged 16. My vet was ever so good, she did what they call a 'geriatric anaesthetic' and came thru with flying colours. I was so nervous as to whether she would pull through or not, she is much loved so there were numerous phone calls to make after telling friends and family she'd pulled thru.

I have given it some thought and I will be going to my vet today with my boy, he's getting uncomfy with his ear now, not lying on it and shaking now and then, it has really gone on too long to expect it to go down on it's own so I've made an appointment. He wolfed down a big plate of fresh chicken last night so he'll hold out until after the visit, just in case he needs to be admitted. Let's see what she says.

Catsey Veteran

16-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #6

I have fingers and toes crossed for your cat ...... what's his name? Healing vibes being sent whether he goes for an op or not.

I'm not sure I could have coped with the trauma of Merlin's geriatric op without the support I received from this forum. At least you know you are not alone and there are people here who understand what you are going through - we all love our cats and only want the best for them

Catsey Senior

16-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #7

His name's Chesi. We've just got back from the vets and he has to go back tomorrow morning for a little ear op. He'll then have to wear a collar for at least 10 days, he's never been shut in, or had anything wrong with him except a one off bout of urinary crystal years ago let alone had a collar on.
The vet'll be using the dreaded Metacam on him!!
I hope he'll be ok, he's a really nervous mummy's boy, and in my experience all bar one cat the op's have been the beginning of the end for them. Fingers and toes crossed.

Catsey Veteran

16-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #8

((((HUGS)))) I'd buy myself a bottle of Rescue Remedy and of course I send loads of healing vibes for Chesi. Hopefully all will go well and he'll be more comfortable.

I see that you think that ops have "been the beginning of the end" for your cats bar one - that's a sad thought and it's very hard to compare one scenario with the other - cat where no operation took place - to see the truth of it. In my Merlin's case, although I appreciate that he was probably quite a lot older than your Chesi, the fact that he was so much more comfortable without that nasty cyst (quite apart from the smell) was enough for me to say it was well worth it. It is hard but a positive attitude helps you and your cat get through this!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #9

It's always scary when our babies have to have surgery, but he'll feel so much better when its gone; you do have support here; sending good vibes for Chesi. And I agree with Angie about the Rescue Remedy!

Catsey Senior

16-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #10

I have rescue remedy always in my cupboard and have used it on the wild animals that I have rescued to good effect, but it IS alcohol based.. so I would feel as if I was poisoning my cat...? I tried it on one of my cats a few years ago and it didn't seem to do anything. I think I'll go for a feliway plug in, he seems to like that, it may calm him down and hopefully stop him fretting about who is going to patrol and mark HIS territory outdoors now he is housebound for a while. Bless him.