Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
16-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #21

Re: Leia is hyperthyroid

Oh Eileen. I'm so sorry I didn't spot this last night.

*hugs tight* I hope that you feel slightly better after a good nights rest, and all that everyone has said on here.

In no way are you a wimpy lady, so please forget about that one!!! You're an incredibly brave lady whose had a lot to deal with in the last year, and who happens to have a cat who can out stubborn you... From all I've heard that's a fairly common experience!!!

I hope that the meds soon kick in for you, and that the ear application goes well - it sounds interesting!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
16-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Did you need to pill Beauty?
No, we never needed to pill Beauty for that luckily.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #23

Did she have the liquid meds, RCR?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: tabby cat
16-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #24

Sorry to hear about Leia.Minnie was hyperthyroid and the only symptom i noticed was that she was drinking alot and weeing alot.When i took her to the vet and they weighed her she had lost weight but when you see them everyday you dont tend to notice.Minnie was allergic to the tablets so she had the op.That was all nearly 2 years ago.The thyroid problem had masked a kidney problem and shes been on Fortekor tablets ever since.She has 2 halves wrapped in cheese everyday.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
17-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Did she have the liquid meds, RCR?
No, luckily we never had to medicate the for it. It was already stabilised and we didn't have to give her any medication for it.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
17-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #26

Oh dear Eileen, that was an unexpected result wasn't it? I didn't know you could get meds to rub in their ears. Let's hope Leia takes to that and it does the trick.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
18-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #27

Hi, we have lots of experience with hyperthyroid cats, we have 5 at the moment, and would consider any cat over 10 at risk of developing it, although Helga is only 9!
I tablet all of mine, although I use a pill giver for Candy and Helga, Candy is a spitfire and Helga has had a broken jaw so is quite funny about her mouth.
I'd be very interested to get the name of the intradermal application, I've never heard of it before. Of course there is the option of an operation, which can be risky and may nit always fully cure the problem but can. We are considering the op for Helga, though.
The main thing I would advise is to get a mini blood test done after her thyroid levels are back to normal because hypertheoidism can cause renal failure but it us masked while the thyroxine levels are high.
Personally, in one of my cats had to get an old age illness, I would choose this- it's fairly easily treated and the long term prognosis is good, especially is caught early before other organs are affected.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #28

How are you getting on with the transdermal application for Leia, Eileen? I do hope she's co-operative for you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #29

Still waiting for the meds to come in the mail, Mags.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #30

Have Leia's meds arrived Eileen? How are you both getting on with them?