Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
15-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #11

Re: Leia is hyperthyroid

You will probably have to wear gloves or wash your hands straight after applying in on Leia's ear. My tablets say not to touch.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
15-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #12

@cat's staff, that's how I do it. Ha ha the fluffy pill, been there many times as my girl used to pretend to swallow and a fluffy pill has been found around the house or on the pillow a few hours or a day later! After a while of daily practice it takes around 2 seconds from start to finish, the art is to do it gently, firmly but swiftly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
15-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #13

No experience with hyperthyroid. Experience with hypothyroid in dogs

Good idea being able to rub meds in their ears

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
15-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #14

Oh I am sorry about this.
Hestia is also hyperthryoid and 13 years old.
I've heard the transdermal gel works well but don't have experience with it myself.
If it's any comfort, I know many cats do just fine once diagnosed and given proper medication to keep it at bay.
Cuddles lived to an old age and Hestia acts much more spunky now that she's been diagnosed and treated.
Hugs to you both xoxo

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
15-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #15

Eileen, sorry to hear Leia is hyperthyroid, Tom was too. He was about 12 when diagnosed.
I have never been able to pill a cat but very fortunately Tom would eat the tablet in Chicken pieces that you buy to stir fry. I bought a bag for the freezer and thawed several pieces out every few days.
Don't think we have the transdermal treatment here yet ?
Sounds good, as truth has pointed out you are warned to wash your hands thoroughly after handling the tablets, perhaps you could wear disposable gloves.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
15-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #16

Oh Eileen, many hugs of support coming your way. xxx I am so sorry to hear that Leia has hyperthyroidism but once you get over the shock, I know you will manage.
Chin rubs for the gorgeous girl too xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #17

Thanks, all, really appreciated. I'm still surprised that she doesn't have the signs, I honestly don't think 3 pounds in 3 years is a really bad loss, certainly not sudden. I didn't think to ask the vet for her actual figures, will do do so when I call her re the meds.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
15-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #18

awww poor Leia hope she is ok Eileen. I have never heard of this treatment sounds a really interresting alternative

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #19

So sorry to hear the diagnosis Eileen, but as the others have said it's a very manageable condition and it sounds as if it has probably been caught early. Transdermal treatment sounds just the thing for you and her. Hope it works out OK. Pilling a cat is never easy, unless you have two people and even then it's tricky. Rubbing her ears sounds much more relaxing.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #20

Leia's diagnosis is bound to have come as a shock to you, Eileen ....... that's understandable. Give it a few days to sink in and you will be fine and will give Leia all the attention that she'll require.

Your vet will explain how to give the transdermal treatment, maybe she will show you how if you are able to take Leia to the vet again.

Try not to worry too much (((hugs))) xx