Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #1

Leia is hyperthyroid

The blood results showed she is. Everything else is fine, eyes, heart, etc. I was quite upset as she's impossible to pill, as many of you know, but the doctor explained an option that I think we can live with: transdermal application. Rubbing it in her ear. I suspect I can do that. The meds have been ordered and will be delivered tomorrow.

Anyone had any experience of transdermal application? Isn't Leia young to be hyperthyroid? She's only 13. Any special signs I should watch for? Probably should have asked the vet, but was a bit upset........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
15-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #2

Re: Leia is hyperthyroid

Firstly Eileen.
We have never used the transdermal application, do you know the generic name of the drug?
The FAB website has some great advice on hyperthyroidism http://www.fabcats.org/owners/hyperthyroidism/index.php and is worth a read. Could you call your vet and go through things over the phone?
Once stabilised, hyperthyroidism is a very managable condition.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
15-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

oh sorry to hear thats what the results showed. i dont have any experience of this, but im sure with the correct dosage of meds she can live a happy healthy long life x x

Catsey Veteran

15-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
Firstly Eileen.
We have never used the transdermal application, do you know the generic name of the drug?
The FAB website has some great advice on hyperthyroidism http://www.fabcats.org/owners/hyperthyroidism/index.php and is worth a read. Could you call your vet and go through things over the phone?
Once stabilised, hyperthyroidism is a very managable condition.
I don't know the name, the vet called it in for me. I assume it'll be on the meds when they arrive; will let you know. I'll have a look at that site; thanks; will probably call the vet when the meds get here.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
15-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #5

Beauty had stabilised hyperthyroid when we got her, one of the signs is dramatic weight loss but can't remember the others.

Hope Leia and you are OK DM.

Catsey Veteran

15-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #6

She's fine, RCR, some of the signs are missing: she's not had a dramatic weight loss (3 pounds in 3 years), no increased appetite or drinking, no nervousness or unusual activity, diarrhea or vomiting. She's the same laid-back cat as ever. I am stressed and upset; worried about medicating her; I think I can manage the inner ear application. I cannot pill her or give her liquid meds. Did you need to pill Beauty?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
15-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #7

Sorry to hear that- I'm sure you'll find a way to get the meds to her. I can't pill cats but I did have one who always took a pill in cheese. Is there anything Leia simply can't resist? The ear route does sound better though.

Catsey Veteran

15-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #8

CS, this was a vet I'd not seen before (large practice), but I think she sussed things out well: a large strong cat and a wimpy little old lady who admitted she cannot pill a cat; that's why she suggested transdermal! Embarrassing, but true. Leia caught onto the pill-in-a-treat gambit many years ago.......

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
15-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #9

My 17 y.old has had this condition for years, as did one of my other cats who I found had this at 19. It is something that any owner could be mistaken for missing until it's quite advanced as to show the obvious signs. My boy was a big strong Maine Coon and he could have had it for years before I noticed it. The signs can creep up but were obvious by the time I noticed it on both my cats; weight loss, a staring look to the eyes, sitting out in the rain just to keep cool, and a pinched looking face, and general restlessness. Also diarrhoea and perhaps sickness when more advanced are obvious signs I noticed in both of mine. Have the T4 tests shown that your girl has it to a lesser extent perhaps, but it has shown up nonetheless? Another question, and I have to ask this, do you know and trust your vet? I always look mine straight in the eye for an honest answer at any consultation cos they know they daren't try anything on with me, I have fallen out twice with my practice and left the practice for a time as I felt I needed a 2nd opinion and I was being ripped off.
My girl was difficult to pill at first but now she doesn't like it but accepts it. If I had to pill my other one this would be impossible and too traumatic for him to do so. My girl has been on Carbimazole for the past 3 years but I have not heard of the ear method over here yet. She still drinks a lot but her organs are good for her age. I have changed her diet recently to include fresh raw meat along with her other food and boy has it made the world of difference to her vitality! My boy eats it too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
15-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #10

Not embarrasing- I can't pill a small cat! I think I'm not firm enough and don't handle them confidently as I'm scared of hurting. OH is better but the most impressive was a friend who watched as I scrabbled under the chair for the 4th time to retrieve a now very fluffy pill, took the pill from me, picked the cat up, opened it's mouth and flicked the pill to the back of its throat with her very long fingernail in one smooth movement. The astonished cat swallowed and that was that!
Sadly she lives a long distance away now but she was on speed dial when in the same town.