Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Russian Blue and Tabby
01-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #1

Could it be renal failure?

I have a 14 year old russian blue called Henry who I have had since he was 4. Over the past couple of months his breath has started to smell really quite offensive and he is definitely losing weight. As first I put the weight loss down to the loss of his winter coat however he now looks alarmingly thin around his back end.

His breathing also seems different, a little more laboured maybe although has has no trouble purring away like a tractor!!

He has also had a few bouts of diahorrea but always makes it to the tray and has not had any 'accidents'. He has also been drinking a fair amount of water but this isn't unusual for his as he has always been quite a thirsty cat!

Having said all of this, he is still his usual self and still scales the 6 foot gate a few times a day and doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort.

I took our other cat to the vet and whilst I was there mentioned the above. She quite bluntly told me that it was more than likely renal failure and that he was 'living on borrowed time' as Russians only usually live to the age of 12.

Her plan of action was to bring him in for expensive blood tests to confirm it was his kidneys and then put him on a prescription diet.

Me and my partner talked it over and decided that if he was indeed 'living on borrowed time' then was there any point on putting him on a prescription diet.

The other problem is that half of our street feed him and this would be impossible to stop without keeping him in which would make him very miserable indeed as he is definitely an outdoor cat.

My thoughts are to let him live out the time he has left happy

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

Re: Could it be renal failure?

Hello and welcome, I am sorry to read about your cat, it may be his kidneys but it may also be a hyperactive thyroid or both. Without blood tests you wont know for sure.
Both of these conditions are managable and I get so angry when vets say things like "borrowed time" as no one knows exactly how much time they may have.
Some cats do very well on the prescription diet and meds.
One thing you can be sure of is that without meds and an apropriate diet, your cat will be feeling very sick and nausious.
With regards to others feeding him, you could put a collar on him which states he is on a special diet and must not be fed.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25488
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=38055
http://www.felinecrf.org/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #3

I am sorry to hear about Henry, must add I know nothing about Russian Blues specifically.

It certainly sounds to me as if Henry could be suffering CRF and/or thyroid problems - the breathlessness suggests that to me as it was how we realised that our dear Smudge was ill, and by that stage she had fluid on her lungs.

I do appreciate your pov that if Henry is on "borrowed time" and you have thought and discussed it and aim just to make the best of his time left, then that's your decision. However, the way you relate how your vet reacted makes me wonder if you are confident and happy with his or her attitude? Granted, blood tests etc. are expensive and you may not have Henry insured, but I just wonder if you are happy just to leave it at that?

There is a member here who is very knowledgeable about CRF in cats - I hope she comes along to give her opinion.

Edited to say: She beat me to it!

Catsey Veteran

01-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #4

Please dont think I am having a go when I write this next bit, I more sort of want to make people aware of what their decision to treat or not means for the wellbeing of the animal involved.

I do know of only a few people who chose NOT to treat their cat when CRF was diagnosed, and I only know of 2 who's cats did fairly well without treatment.
Now, I'm not a vet but from what you have said, it sounds to me like Henry may well have an over active thyroid as well as CRF, not uncommon as they often go hand in hand or can mask each other.
Now just please try to imagine how your cat is feeling, his heart racing ten to the dozen, constant sick feeling due to toxin build up, not being able to retain enough fluids and possibly a banging headache due to hyper tension. If any of us felt like that on a daily basis, we'd be right up to the doctors surgery for treatment to relieve these symptoms.

There is no cure but these conditions are managable, Henry may do well and be with you for several more years or he may not but please consider what is best for him.

Personally, I'd rather my pet were pts than left to linger till the end with those symptoms and no treatment.

I get really angry when vets talk so negatively about these conditions, often owners are left feeling like the animal only has days to live, in some cases that may be true but to blanket them all with such generalised garbage really sucks. My first vet did that to me, I was devastated but my old fella went on for another 2 and a half years before the end came.

If you are not confident with your current vet, please do call around and talk to other vets in your area, ask them how knowledgable they are on these things.

01-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies. I am going to book him into the vets next week so we can try and find out whats going on with him.

Am I right in thinking that if it is renal failure, the only treatment is a prescription diet? Also, if he has a thyroid problem can this be treated with medication and will this be picked up with the blood tests?

The most worrying symptom is his breathing, but it doesn't stop him carrying on as normal.

Oh and one more thing, he point blank refuses to wear a collar! He has never worn one since I have had him and if I put one on him he just rips and pulls at it until it comes off!! I have had a word with one particular neighbour who feeds him and they have now stopped (I hope!) and they are going to tell their neighbours.

Thanks

Catsey Veteran

01-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #6

CRF can also be treated with meds to stabalise the kidney function, usually fortekor. Sometimes if cats wont eat the prescription food, the vet can also prescribe a phos binder which is added to the cats food and stops the absorption of phosphorus.
I'd suggest reading up a bit on the felinecrf.org website, it has been a life saver for many. Write down any questions you have for the vet. The more knowledgable you are, the more you can help Henry and recognise more quickly if there may be any changes.
It can be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster but there are several of us here who have gone through the whole CRF rollercoaster and we will support you as best we can.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
01-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #7

Hi
Just wanted to add I agree with what the others say.

We have a dog in renal failure - slightly different i know. However the extensive tests are probably not as bad or as expensive as what you think.

Katies test results at the beginning of this year were very high. After couple months on a renal diet some of her levels had dropped quite a lot. We went through a period of her not liking her food and changed from a dry kibble to the wet canned version, then she went off that too.

She got very thin and ribby and lost muscle tone. She was very sick and felt sick a lot and would on occasions have bouts of diarrhea.

After discussions on here with other folk we decided that it was better that she ate than not and so we began to add some ordinary wet food to her perscription diet to encourage her to eat

Couple of months later she still gets some ordinary tinned food added to her renal diet. She now eats her renal diet plus some of her dry renal kibble, the latter I "crumb" with a rolling pin - tedious job but well worth it and I dont mind

We still get sick/off days when I worry a lot and frequent blood tests. The latter shows you where you are with the disease

Im glad you are getting the necessary tests carried out and as Elaine says you will get all the help and support you need here. I know I did and it helped - a lot and still does

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
02-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #8

I have to say I agree with Elaine, without treatment of either of the illnesses the cat is sentenced to a long and lingering period of severe discomfort.
Another thing that springs to mind is a slight possibility of diabetes.
All of the illnesses are controlled and the cat can have a good quality and comfortable time however long they have.
General bloods will show renal failure and can indicate if hyperthyroidism and diabetes are likely. I would you suggest your vet sends off for thyroid tests to check- this is easily treated with tablets and I have had cats live for years with the condition. I would also suggest you take in a urine sample for testing- it will show up any ketones or infections present, a specific gravity test can also indicate if renal failure is occuring.
Please do not be disheartened- I have 4 hyperthyroid cats, 2 of whom are in renal failure and another who is in heart failure( due to the hypertyroidism) and they are all happy and comfortable, I do not know how long they have but regardless of that they are well now and 3 of them would difinately be dead by now without treatment!

04-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #9

Hi just thought I would give you an update on my boy.

We have been to the vets today and the vet seems to think he has hyperthyroidism, possible with some kidney involvement. They have blood tests and we will hopefully get the results tomorrow.

She isn't too concerned about his breathing. She had a good listen (although Henry made it hard for her by purring the whole way through the appointment) and she was happy there was no fluid on his lungs. She thinks the breathing will even out once he's on medication. She did say he had a heart murmur though caused by the thyroid problem but didn't really say how serious this was.

I'll let you know the test results when I get them

Thanks for the support

Catsey Veteran

04-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #10

Although it's not good news, it sounds a little more possitive than a few days back.
Wish you both all the very best and am so pleased you went to the vet. Was it your normal vet, the one who said "borrowed time"? Or another? Just curious.
If you ever need any help understanding anything or just to sound off, we're here for you. xxx