Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #1

Dog or Bitch?

I know we've discussed here about if there are any differences between male and female cats, even if neutered/spayed.

Is there any behavioural differences to be taken into account in dogs generally? And if so, which would you choose???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #2

Re: Dog or Bitch?

I have my beloved Sal here and have had bitches the last few times but...and this is a big but if I were you and the dog was going to be my only dog. I would visit a litter and take a pup that I was attracted to and vice versa a pup choose you sometimes and you cannot put your finger on it.
I do not think (although could be corrected here) that their is a major difference temperment/behviour wise between dogs and bitches in mini schnauzers.
As there is in some breeds I would not recommend a male giant schnauzer as a first dog. But in the mini's I would not say there is much difference. My Sal stops and wee's as much as a dog would if she thinks the world needs reminding of her presence. LOL

I would say you do not want the first pup that approaches you you want a nice middle ranking pup not the boldest and not the quiestist.

Catsey Veteran

21-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #3

This is getting exciting and you have not found a breeder/pup yet either.

Catsey Veteran

21-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #4

I wondered whether dominance was an issue with a male? I know from reading about the breed that Schnauzers need a calm firm hand to avoid "small dog syndrome" and of course we would enrol in a training programme locally.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
21-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I wondered whether dominance was an issue with a male? I know from reading about the breed that Schnauzers need a calm firm hand to avoid "small dog syndrome" and of course we would enrol in a training programme locally.
I think the breed people are best to answer specific questions like this, any comments I would make for example would be based on my knowledge of cockers which wouldn't be a great deal of use to you. I found the breed specific forum that I joined a tremendous source of information, not just for asking my own questions but also reading other members' comments and replies. Is there a schnauzer forum? I would think there probably is and there'll be loads of useful stuff on there.

By the way, I have a boy and dominance isn't an issue at all, he's still entire and popular "knowledge" out there says that cockers are very dominant (proper cocker owners consider it nonsense! )

Catsey Veteran

21-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #6

Thats like Staffs people say dogs are dominant yet my Sam was so laid back he was horizontal and not a dominant bone in his body. A dog is what you make them, get a decent well bred healthy pup and you have the making of devil or angel. Its your choice.

Catsey Veteran

21-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #7

Kazz has already sent me a link to a Schnauzer forum!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
21-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #8

I agree totally with Kazz, its how you bring them up...I personally have always had bitches....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
21-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #9

I've PM'd you angie

Catsey Veteran

22-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #10

Thanks all! I made the mistake of looking at puppy photos this evening ...................... how do you pick THE one?