Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 moggie and 2 torties
23-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #1

Catflu

Does anyone have any advice n coping with catflu?
One of my two foster's has suspected cat flu and is now on a weeks worth of anti biotics
I've seperated her from my other foster kitten (who was supposed to go to his new home on saturday!)
Neither have been near my cats so that should be okay
I just dont know if there is anything i should do for her? also any tips on giving her the antibs? she doesnt seem to like cheese
not having the best of luck with my first ever fosters

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #2

Re: Catflu

I'm sure it will get easier with time and experience xxx
Poor little mite, pop kitty between your legs, fore finger and thumb either side of mouth to open, pill in other hand, pop pill in, close mouth and hold while you gently stroke neck and feel her swallow.

Catsey Junior

23-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #3

i sure hope so! eye drops three times a day for a scratch and now tablets twice a day! shes going to hate me do you know any easier less stressfull ways? thats the way im doing it now but id like a less stressfull way

Catsey Veteran

23-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #4

Less stressfull for who?
I have always found that to be the quickest and least stressfull way to pill a cat but you may find it easier by using a pill popper or gel caps....
It is highly unlikely, with cats, that you will be able to disguise the tablet in food but if you want to try, use something smelly like sardine or maybe primula cheese. Chences are though, kitty will enjoy the treat and spit out the tablet.

Catsey Junior

23-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #5

haha me! haha i think i might look into this pill thing, have you a link for one, i dont want to search pill popper and get dodgey results! why must cats be so clever :S

Catsey Veteran

23-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #6

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Pet_Store_It.../category.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #7

Good luck Georgey. I remember the days when cat flu killed off loads of cats. Hope yours get better with all the care they are getting.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
17-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #8

I tried giving Benny pills, he just kept spitting them out! He wont eat fish or cheese, so I cant hide them there. Finally, I got the pill, put it in his treat box, gave it a shake about, then sandwiched the pill between 2 treats. Job done!!!

Catsey Junior

17-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #9

Well Mikey caught catflu aswell, but he loved his tablets so much he stole the packet and took one for himself! thankfully he's better but now we're having problems with him being smelly but supposedly neutered!

Gillys on her third set of antib's and I'm hacing to crush them into her food as we were fighting every say to get them into her!! thankfully she seems to be better

Glad you managed to get them into Benny!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #10

Hi Georgey - sorry to hear that Mikey caught the flu too - inevitable I suppose but glad to hear he at least is liking his pills (strange cat!). Also glad to hear that Gilly is getting better at last.

What an introduction to fostering you've had.