Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
19-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #1

Flavouring!

I have a teeny weeny problem! Teddies seems to have gone off the biscuits!! I'm putting them down in front of her, the usual squeals of 'hurry up and feed me human', she sniffs at them and then looks at me as if it say 'where's the good stuff?'. She's eating some of them, very reluctantly, and then walking away, but as soon as I go the cupboard where her food is kept, she's back yowling at me, so I can only presume she isn't keen on the stuff. What do I do??? I can't add any flavouring to then 'cause obviously she wont be able to tolerate it, so any ideas anyone?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #2

Re: Flavouring!

She's not pining for fish, is she?
I wouldn't do anything - with her restricted ability to cope with different foods the last thing you need is a fussy cat. Leave it long enough and she'll eat it. Actually, don't leave it long. Don't know if it's the same with cats but they reckon you should always pick up a dog's dish if there's anything left after 10 minutes (fat chance in thsi house!); it teaches them just to get on and eat it, because it won't be there for ever.
Could you warm the dish (perhaps pour some hot water in and then tip it out?) That would release a little more 'nice smells' from the food. Or maybe she would like a drop of warm water with the food now and again? Just a little, to moisten it a tiny bit. Don't know how feasible that is.
Poor Teddie

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #3

Is that the I/D buiscuts Alex?
Are you still feeding her fish too? If so, maybe you could mix a little of both together?

Catsey Veteran

19-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #4

No she's just on the I.d biscuits alone Elaine. I don't want to go back to giving her fish. That sounds a good idea DM! I'll give that a try with her next meal (and it takes Teddie about 20 mins to finish her food anyway now, lol, so she'd get very upset if I tried to take it away after 10!!)

Catsey Veteran

19-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #5

Did you buy a big bag of the I/D? Next time you are at the vets it might be an idea also to ask about Royal Canin too.
Winston, although a completely different condition to Teddie, would regularly go off foods. When I could get him to eat the prescription foods, I used to alternate between Hills and Royal Canin.

Catsey Veteran

19-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #6

She had the RC before Elaine, and it made her runs worse than at anytime! Must be some ingredient in it that doesn't agree with her. And that was RC kitten and RC Sensitivity!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
19-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #7

Aww poor little Teddie, I hope the hot water helps x

Catsey Veteran

19-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #8

Poor thing, sorry Alex cannt think of anything else other than what Dinahsmum has suggested.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
19-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #9

As DM has already suggested, I would add a small drop of warm water to moisten the biscuits for her........it should make them more palatable for her to eat.

Good luck with it Alex!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
19-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #10

Cory didn't tolerate the RC kitten but he is fine on the RC fit 32. My friends cat has a very sensitive stomach and is also very fussy. They only way she can get her to eat is to sprinkle a little bit of fish food flakes on the biscuits. Daft I know.