Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #1

help with the cats' diet-i want something better for them

i have two cats, both moggies (rescued farm kittens) who are now 4 years old.

after doing animal nutrition as part of my college course i got really paranoid about what was in pet foods.
the dogs got switched onto raw food which they thrive on and i am now comfortable feeding and balancing out their diet so they get the right nutrients.

the cats are another matter

at the minute the cats get dry biscuits "purely" from pets at home at £7 a 2kg bag. their biscuits are left down all day for them.
meatwise they get a pouch between them of natures menu. it all goes into one bowl and they tend to eat out of the same one, sometimes at the same time or they just take it in turns.

trouble is they are starting to get bored with their food now, and im tempted to switch them to something different. they show alot of interest in the dogs raw food. but id have no idea where to start when switching them over.

i thought what i could do was 50/50 diet. so leave a decent dry quality food down all day for them, then give them a raw meal in the morning instead of their natures menu pouch?

they like fish now as the dogs have mackeral, sardines, and pilchards, so i think i will start by giving them fish instead of a pouch.

what other meats can i give them?

also do i start to feed them in separate bowls? say they get used to having their raw meal, at a set time in their own separate bowls so i know which cat is eating what ammount?

replies will be greatly appreciated!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
17-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #2

Re: help with the cats' diet-i want something better for them

Hi x-clo-x,
Yes feeding them in seperate bowls is good, certainly for the wet and raw foods, that way you'll be able to pick up any changes in each one's eating habits.

I can only speak from experience on the raw meat. I have found that raw white meat fares better with them than the red, in fact red is not their natural prey anyway (ever seen a cat of that size catch a cow or deer?). My two do get the odd raw lean mincemeat now and then which they love and their diet's on a ratio of 50% high quality dry food, 25% pouch, and 25% fresh meat. They get their raw chicken breast cut up into bite size pieces in the evening, most evenings, they then spend the rest of the night napping off their protein hit contentedly. But I would think any time would be fine.

Some people swear by raw chicken wings but I've never had the guts to try this myself..

As with any change, introduce gradually, and watch their faeces to see that you're going at the right introductory pace.

Let us know how you get on

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
17-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #3

hi x-clo-x!!
you could try giving them boiled chicken as well as the fish, but keep mixing the diet!
on the meat side of it , i have been told that mince in a gravy is ok, so the next time you do a sprg bolog or chilli, do a bit of extra plain mince for them!!
i was always told that a variety of things is best for cats.
the chicken and white plain fish you can give them straight away as it will not give them bad stomachs.
hope this helps a little
good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
17-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #4

I agree with you about feeding a healthy diet, i think the more you learn the harder it is in a way.
Since getting the dogs we have learned a lot and i now read the packets etc carefuly. Like yours our dogs have some raw, whatever they are having i give to Jerry the Cat, so far he's eaten chicken, beef and lamb.

Catsey Junior

17-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthisouthere
Hi x-clo-x,
Yes feeding them in seperate bowls is good, certainly for the wet and raw foods, that way you'll be able to pick up any changes in each one's eating habits.

I can only speak from experience on the raw meat. I have found that raw white meat fares better with them than the red, in fact red is not their natural prey anyway (ever seen a cat of that size catch a cow or deer?). My two do get the odd raw lean mincemeat now and then which they love and their diet's on a ratio of 50% high quality dry food, 25% pouch, and 25% fresh meat. They get their raw chicken breast cut up into bite size pieces in the evening, most evenings, they then spend the rest of the night napping off their protein hit contentedly. But I would think any time would be fine.

Some people swear by raw chicken wings but I've never had the guts to try this myself..

As with any change, introduce gradually, and watch their faeces to see that you're going at the right introductory pace.

Let us know how you get on
thanks for that. i might try them with things like raw chicken. i could try them with a wing, the dogs have them no bother, so may try the cats on them to see how they fare.
i will introduce it gradually. need to find a new high quality biscuit to feed them too.

Catsey Junior

17-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPARK
hi x-clo-x!!
you could try giving them boiled chicken as well as the fish, but keep mixing the diet!
on the meat side of it , i have been told that mince in a gravy is ok, so the next time you do a sprg bolog or chilli, do a bit of extra plain mince for them!!
i was always told that a variety of things is best for cats.
the chicken and white plain fish you can give them straight away as it will not give them bad stomachs.
hope this helps a little
good luck
thanks for that. so say i feed them raw once a day, either evening or morning, and bit of fish or raw mince. thank you

Catsey Junior

17-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
I agree with you about feeding a healthy diet, i think the more you learn the harder it is in a way.
Since getting the dogs we have learned a lot and i now read the packets etc carefuly. Like yours our dogs have some raw, whatever they are having i give to Jerry the Cat, so far he's eaten chicken, beef and lamb.
thanks. i know learning so much and how to read packets properly, it really shocked me at how much rubbish there is in some foods. i used to feed whiskas, that soon got binned. and now the dogs are on such a great natural diet, i think its only fair to do the same for the cats.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
17-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #8

Good on you clo!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
17-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #9

Royal Canin is supposed to be a superior dry cat food.

Catsey Junior

17-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
Royal Canin is supposed to be a superior dry cat food.
yes i know... but i wouldnt feed that to the dogs, and i imagine that the ingredients are on the same line as the dog food...