Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
21-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #1

Eureka Moment?

I finally found something that my cat would eat.

I bought some pilchards. However they were in brine, rather than tomato sauce, so I wouldn't eat them.

Rather than have them go to waste, I gave the cat some to try (She was drinking the gravy from her wet food, but not touching the meat. Then she'd fill herself up with dry food).

With pilchards, she both drinks the brine and eats the fish. The only problem is the amount of salt she takes in when she eats her pilchards.

I don't see her drinking anymore water than she usually does, so I'm wondering if this is doing more harm than good.

What does everyone think???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #2

Re: Eureka Moment?

I'm no expert in nutrition but I think that's way too much salt intake! Give the vet a ring and check.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
22-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #3

Mmmmm. I've tried Cloud on Pilchards, but wouldn't let her have the brine just because of the salt. I normally take them out of the tin, soak in milk for several hours (as I've been told this helps to get rid of the excess saltiness) and then give them a good rinse to get rid of the lactose. I guess I could use catmilk, or lactose free stuff, were I to have enough in.

Again, I only give her one pilchard out of the tin at any one feeding (yesterday she came back about 4 times to the one bit of fish.

That's just the way I deal with trying to get rid of as much salt as possible before I feed her that - and I'd not have known that milk removes saltiness from stuff if a friend hadn't given me a tip when I told her that I'd bought Pilchards!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #4

Yes, I agree about too much salt in the brine. Would she eat the ones in oil I wonder? You wouldn't have to give all the oil of course but the amount the would coat one pilchard fillet at a time wouldn't be too much. Some oil is good for the coat!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
22-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #5

Mmmmm... The other thing is that once the fish is rinsed you can always make your own gravy by adding some water to the fish, and up the liquid intake that way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #6

I occasionally have given my cats sardines in oil as a treat ... the oil is good for the coat. I too didn't know about milk removing the salt, good tip, thanks!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
23-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #7

I tried my cat with pilchards drained of brine. She won't touch it.

I think the idea of sardines is oil sounds promising. I'll put it on my shopping list.

Thanks.