Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #11

Re: Should we give milk

I would definately try getting her to eat a proper diet, maybe even call round a few companies such as applaws, explain about your kitten and ask if they could send you some samples. Might be a cheeper way of finding a food that she will eat without putting you to a lot of expense.
Not all cats are lactose intolerant but at your kittens young age a serious bout of diarrhoea could turn into a disasterous situation.
Maybe even a dry food soaked in some cooled boiled water and mushed up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
04-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #12

when we first got pip he was a bit fussy, was just licking the gravy/jelly off the foods we gave him. we gave him some chicken and he wolfed it down so i mixed it half and half with kitten food and he ate it all, i gave less chicken in his next feed and he munched that aswell. worth a try?

Cats owned: Mongrels
05-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #13

Cows milk is a big no no. Never tried the cats milk in the shops though.

If they are under weight a good way to give them a boost is full fat goats milk. sparingly though.

Cats owned: Fluffy tortoiseshell & white
06-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #14

We are off to the vets this morning for her first jab - probably pick up some sample packs there. We have tried another couple of foods without success all dried food is ceremonially buried

The one thing she did eat a little of, was minced beef - not a complete food but more variety helps - cats survived before complete foods existed I guess

06-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #15

Hmmm yes and no. Cats eat whole prey in the wild which contains everything they need.

Meat, bones, offal and TAURINE!

Taurine is a must with cats and minces or anything ground dont have alot of taurine if any.

My advice is if you must feed anything raw. Go to your local butchers or pet shop or even super market and buy some heart.

This is rich in taurine. But you shouldnt feed too much as it can give them the runs.

Will you consider putting your kittens on a raw diet? This are complete and if your kits are fussy with comercial food it will probably be the better option for them. And now would be the time to do it as they are young.

If you need info on raw feeding im sureplenty of people are willing to advize you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
06-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #16

Did you try mixing in a little of the food you want her to eat with the food that she does eat? You might be able to get her used to eating the complete foods if she gets a gradual introduction.

Have a good time at the vets; Kittens are not usually that worried about being vetted but can still be fairly wriggly. ^_^
Toffee doesn't have the patience to stand still when there are so many interesting things to investigate. He usually ends up scaling up the vet to get a better view.

06-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreow
Toffee doesn't have the patience to stand still when there are so many interesting things to investigate. He usually ends up scaling up the vet to get a better view.

Cats owned: Fluffy tortoiseshell & white
06-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #18

We tried mixing and she very carefully separated the cat food out and left it

She was fine at the vets - climbed all over the vets computer but didn’t climb the vet

The vet said we should give her kitten food and be hard and not supplement with fish & chicken - once she gets really hungry she will eat it. OH is too soft though - Mittens has him wrapped round her paw - she has been eating raw prawns - very high in taurine apparently

I would prefer her on cat food so we try again tomorrow - if I can get OH under control

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #19

LOL, so you don't have a kitten eating problem as much as an OH softy problem! Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
06-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip895
I would prefer her on cat food so we try again tomorrow - if I can get OH under control
Prawns are good - Toffee approves of them as well.

I seem to have the same type of partner... I can train a cat to do perfect recall but I can't train him to not give treats to the poor, starving, cute kitten. Tough exterior, caring nature - can't really complain.