Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
13-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #1

possessive cat... growling, hissing over plastic!!

keanu picked up a piece of that plastic tape stuff thats used to secure boxes. I didnt think anything of it and let him play, however my OH said that he thought he might cut his mouth on it.
Well indie was chasing him with it anyway as he was guarding his new possession. I could hear him growling and could see indie getting increasingly agitated, so i threw a toy for indie and went in pursuit of keanu.

Anyway, i picked him up and put him on the windowsil, so not to get distracted by indie, and i tried to get it out of his mouth. He was really proper growling at me, hissing and trying to tug it out of my hands! he was actually playing tug of war with a piece of plastic!

ive never seen anything like it, must admit i thought it was quite funny, altho im sure ur all going to say its not a good thing. it all seemed rather extreme for a 5 month old kitten!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #2

Re: possessive cat... growling, hissing over plastic!!

Your right, its not a good thing but these little monkeys will make a game out of anything and everything. Worse than kids sometimes .
Just be carefull of what he gets hold of as I have heard some very scarey and frightening stories from people about what their kitties have managed to get hold of and hurt themselves with.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #3

Its Trophy Jen,he's an indoor cat and he is a "hunter" too by the sounds of him.
When my two caught a mouse/bird or Koi Carp - both would growl and not let me or each other get near it...Sounds like he is a proper live wire that one.
Not like dogs are possesive I don't think but not to be encouraged - maybe, although I could be wrong especially as pound for pound Indie out weighs him he would not win the battle for his trophy.
I never took any notice really of mine unless they brought it in the housebecause mine soon figured easier and safe in their minds not to bring "kills" back into the house as I would try to take it so they holed up in the garden till they were finished. Good luck,but he's a kitten this could be ongoing Oscar was still hunting at 23.

Karen

Catsey Senior

13-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #4

yeah, just never seen him do that before! he gets hold of everything and anything! hes even pooped out elastic bands

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
13-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #5

Jenny, I would watch him, and keep things out his way. You worried me when you said that he has pooped out elastic bands. They can do so much damage if not pooped out. Dont want to worry you but please take care. Bengals are curiouse (sp) cats, hunters and full of beans (sneeky too) . Just watch what you leave about.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #6

Yes please be careful just had a flash of an estatic band caught round his tongue at the back of his throat....please take care.

Karen

Catsey Senior

13-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #7

yeh tell me about it! hes a little b*gger for things like that. he steals ear plugs out of the bathroom too if we dont put them away!!
he even fell in the fish tank when i was feeding the fish! jumped straight back out tho and was covered in water much to his dismay!
hes chewed through two phone charger wires too! he did keep going behind the computer desk and playing with the wires but we've got that blocked off now.

he'll also play inside plastic bags if your not careful, so im constantly making sure theres none about!

i'll tell ya its a full time job watching out for him! lol

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
14-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #8

mines love the plastic bags too its the noise thay make I think. But would definately keep an eye on him he sounds like a terror lol xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
14-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #9

Agrre with everyone about the rubber bands - they seem to fascinate cats; wierd creatures!
Have fun with your little monster!