Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
22-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #1

Feeding kitten food to adult cats

Is it OK to feed an adult cat kitten food? Miracle and Snodgrass are now one and two years old respectively and the kittens are nearly 8 months old.All the cats are fed Royal Canin Kitten ,RC kitten wet pouches and Iams kitten pouches along with a raw diet. Is it OK to keep Snodgrass and Miracle on kitten food until the kittens turn 12 months? It would be very hard for me to give them adult food as they all eat together.Because the kittens were hand reared, I would like to keep them on kitten food for a while yet. Snoddy and Miracle are not overweight at all,( apart from Miracle's repeated phantom pregnancies). I'd be keen to see what others think about adult cats eating kitten food.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
22-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

Re: Feeding kitten food to adult cats

Hi Dinky, personally I can't see a problem. Barnaby (your favourite), is 3 and he loves RC kitten food. I call it his 'baby treats'. I think kitten food is slightly higher protein so it can put weight on cats but other than that I think it's OK. It is difficult when they all eat together. I 've made a rod for my own back by feeding all 5 in different places cos they all eat different things! I have to keep TBFzy away from the other's food cos of his tummy. Just check the protein content of adult and kitten food, I can't see there'll be much difference. PS please post more photos of your cats, they are lovely.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #3

An interesting dilemma, dinky. I've found in the past that my Pip, when a kitten, wanted to eat Kizzy's adult food and so I switched him over to adult food. He's a big strong boy with no problems and eats almost anything now. Kizzy is the fussy one!

As you say the kits are 8 months already I wonder whether they couldn't all be on adult food? I am not really clued up on the differences in the brands, probably protein but maybe something else, not sure!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
25-04-2014, 03:17 AM   #4

Our kitten is now 9 months and he too had a very bad start to life. I asked the vet this very same question last week and he said at this stage it was perfectly fine to switch the kitten onto adult food. Hope this helps.

When you have a multi cat household it's inevitable they will eat each other's food at some stage

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
25-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. I'll use up the remaining stock of kitten biscuits and pouches that I have , which will take me around 4 weeks and then switch all over to RC adult biscuits and pouches. I appreciate your help.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #6

Glad we could put our heads together dinky! It may be an idea to mix the foods together and so achieve a gradual change without upsetting little tums! Good luck.

Cats owned: 2 x Domestic Shorthair
17-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #7

I feed my kittens adult food because the brand I feed (encore) does not come in kitten, since its mostly chunks of meat I figure it will be ok, Lilys kitchen dry which I also use says for kittens and adults so I figure their cannot be much difference between the 2. Tesco's finest range which also looks to be pretty good also does not come in kitten, I think it is just a marketing ploy used by big companies to be honest. Therefore I wouldn't worry to much.