Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #1

Computer cleanups

Just wondering does anyone do a regular cleanup of thier computer.....I..do once monthly, disk cleanups and defraughment...and inside the machine when I think of it I take the side/top off and vacum the inside of my computer out.

Anyone else and is there anything I am missing to make it run faster.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #2

Re: Computer cleanups

Yes, do the disc clean up and defrag. I also delete all temp files and cookies, delete my history and empty the recycle bin.

I don't vac inside it as have laptop, but I do use the vac suction round the keboard and ports.

Can't think of anything else that could be done, but then I'm no expert when it comes to speed and cleanup etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #3

What is defraugment?

I delete unwanted cookies and cache every day, and clear my browsing history.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Yes, do the disc clean up and defrag. I also delete all temp files and cookies, delete my history and empty the recycle bin.

I don't vac inside it as have laptop, but I do use the vac suction round the kepord and ports.

Can't think of anything else that could be done, but then I'm no expert when it comes to speed and cleanup etc.
I delete all temp files and cookies too and always hitting the empty recycle bin button.

I will remember that about vacing the laptop though I have a laptop now....and given the bits that get stuck in my kepboard I dread to think what will be in the laptop in a few months.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
What is defraugment?

I delete unwanted cookies and cache every day, and clear my browsing history.
Defragmentation is a process that reduces the amount of 'space' in the computers file system. It's kinda hard to explain but if you imagine a square 12 boxes by 12 boxes that would give you 144 little boxes. Now if you imagine each programme you add to the computer takes up say 10 boxes and you throw these boxes onto the square. They're not all going to land in a nice row they will land randomly. If you keep doing this it means you'll have lots of little spaces and fragmented programme bits. So defragging attempts to put things in order and put all the spare 'boxes' to the end. That way the PC runs quicker and the next programe has a better chance of being loaded closer together so it's not so hard for the PC to find when it runs and therefore faster. Hope that makes sense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
I delete all temp files and cookies too and always hitting the empty recycle bin button.

I will remember that about vacing the laptop though I have a laptop now....and given the bits that get stuck in my kepboard I dread to think what will be in the laptop in a few months.
We have a great thing at work, I keep meaning to bring one home to try. Called an invertible air duster. Basically an aerosol can with some sort of liquid but when you 'spray' it it is high pressure air that comes out. You direct it onto the keyboard at an angle and you'd be amazed at the debris it blows out!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #6

I empty the trash daily too. Thanks for the explanation CM, will look up to see if I need to do that on a Mac ,,, and how!