Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
26-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #1

External hard drive.

Well I have brought myself today an external hard drive for the computer to back up my files....pictures etc, so wish me luck.
Its a 1tb that approx 1000GB of memory..... ... so loads of room.
Will report back on my progress.....should be plug and play. so it says on the box.

Catsey Veteran

26-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #2

Re: External hard drive.

Wow that was remarkably easy I have plugged in and it worked straight away looking at it I have gone a bit OTT in the size thing I think. All my pictures (everything) have been stored on the external hardrive and all my documents, including the CP stuff and I still have 925GB of sace left...That is scary could have had to 250GB opne easily.

I would highly reccomend this as a "first aid tool" especialy as Smudgley recently lost a lot of her stuff when her computer went down and my BIL lost all his files when his went wrong the week before Christmas so I have been
proactive and backed up first. Really really easy opened box. Plugged into power point and then connected USB from hard drive to computer hey presto it connected itself. Excellent

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
26-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #3

The new ones are really good - we bought a 6Tb one for work (we have very big files we need to hold) and it's genuinely plug and play, but the one I bought about 2 years ago for home has been a nightmare - all kinds of synchronising needed and it never really worked properly.

Good news that yours worked right first time; reminds me I need to get one that works!

Catsey Veteran

26-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #4

Honestly Yola I thought I would be there forever with this but boy was it easy it ..just like it says on the box plug and work. Took me longer to walk up the stairs with the box than it did to set it up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #5

Kazz, couple of questions, dumb, I suppose

Do they work with Macs?

You know how untechy I am, could I figure one out?

Is the data you've copied still on the computer: i.e., pics. passwords, bookmarks, etc, or do you have to start from scratch? In other words, is it just copied for saving but still on the computer and accessable?

Catsey Veteran

26-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Kazz, couple of questions, dumb, I suppose

Do they work with Macs?

You know how untechy I am, could I figure one out?

Is the data you've copied still on the computer: i.e., pics. passwords, bookmarks, etc, or do you have to start from scratch? In other words, is it just copied for saving but still on the computer and accessable?
Hiya Eileen

Yes the info is still on the computer as well as the hard drive and still accessable.
I have not copied passwords or any thing like that acros just files like pictures, and word documents (like CP ones) and some other info I have stored like "stories I have written and poems"
I have not moved across any bookmarks either. Just wanted to "save things that are irreplaceable..to me like pictures/writing etc.

I have now also got my pictures backed up onto the flashdrive (like a little pen) and onto the hard drive so have deleted them from my computer. I can open them from the hard drive.

It was really simple just clicked the file then highlighted the "send to" bit and moved down to hard-drive option and clicked and it went.
I am a proper "nervous" ninni when it comes to my computer...hence still on dial up. But this was so simple it scared me.

As to if it would work on a mac I do not know I know Azz has a Mac and so does Mags....maybe they can help but I imagine it would as it only needs a USB cable to connect it to the computer...does a mac have one of those connections if so I should think you would be away.

Catsey Veteran

26-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #7

So, if I understand what you're telling me, you can pick and choose what you want to copy? It doesn't copy everything? Yes, Macs have USB ports, I have my camera on one, and there is a spare. The electrical outlet might be a problem as there is no spare one near the computer, but I suppose I could use a long extension cord ........???

Catsey Veteran

26-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #8

Yes I would think an extension cord would be perfection. It will only copy what you "tell" it to. Not everything unless you want it to copy everything AI imagine it would.

Catsey Veteran

26-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #9

I would think of it like a photo album you choose what you put in it

Catsey Veteran

26-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #10

Good way to visualize it. I'll give this some thought; my computer is running slow and I suspect I have too many photos in iPhoto ....over 500 the last time I looked; suppose that takes up quite a bit of memory.