Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
25-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #1

stupid question!

Can ask a possibly stupid question?
How do cat shows work? I'm assuming all cats need to be registered to enter? I have very vague memories of attending the GCCF supreme show with my granny at the age of about nine but can you go just as a spectator/visitor like you can at dog shows.
I'm only really asking because I'd like to be able to learn more about the cat breeds.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #2

Re: stupid question!

Not stupid at all! Yes, you can attend as a visitor; cats do have to be registered. Our breeder members will no doubt be on with information about that. Going to a show is not only great fun it's an excellent way to learn about the different breeds...trouble is, you end up wanting one of everything! At least I do!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
26-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #3

No question is stupid if it needs asking

there are a few members who regularly attend shows, I'm sure they will post some info about them for you.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
26-02-2008, 12:26 AM   #4

I don't show my cats but go and ooh and aah over the ones entered into the show.

They tend to open to the public after the judging usually about 12 ish. There are also stalls there with traders/charities selling kitty goodies, food, litter etc.

I haven't been for a while - had a mad busy year last year but I'm hoping to go to the Wigan show in a couple of weeks.

Catsey Veteran

26-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #5

Thanks everyone! Just one more question? How would I find out if there are any shows locally to me? Are they advertised anywhere, like in the dog newspapers? I don't drive so am pretty limited to places I can get to by train!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #6

Hi, yes to show under the GCCF, pedigree cats must be registered with them. Moggies can also be shown under the GCCF in the household pet section and obviously these do not need to be registered with the GCCF. You would be best going to visit some cat shows and finding out what it's all about. The general public are usually allowed in the show hall after the open judging has taken place, usually around middayish.

Here's a list of all the GCCF shows for the next year. Have a look and find some that are nearish to you and pop along, admission as a visitor is usually only a couple of pounds or so

http://www.gccfcats.org/showsnew.html

Catsey Veteran

26-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #7

Thanks Fran,
There are a few that I could maybe get to easily-I'm on the Welsh/Shropshire border so will also try and get to the Supreme show-work permitting! Off to crufts next week for two of the days!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
Thanks Fran,
There are a few that I could maybe get to easily-I'm on the Welsh/Shropshire border so will also try and get to the Supreme show-work permitting! Off to crufts next week for two of the days!
The Supreme is well worth going to! Lots to see and lots to buy However, it does run differently from all the other GCCF shows in that the public are allowed in whilst judging is taking place and the cats are not judged in their own pens like they are at usual shows, they are taken to 'rings' for judging. Also they do not have side classes just the open classes. So well worth going to but not a true representation of what goes on at the usual bog standard type of show.

Enjoy Crufts!