Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
14-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #11

Re: Can cats love there owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Do you belive moggies are less affectionate than purebreeds then Cj???
I don't think CJ took it as a general question (or at least I bloody hope not ). I think saying a purebreed is more affectionate than a moggie (in general) is as much a load of tosh as saying mulatto people are less affectionate than purely white or black people.

I think we all know there are lots of different types of cats with lots of different personalities out there. Some of them will always be a little more devil-may-care about their humans - and some of them will stray regardless of how many people try to keep them as housepets. How much of that is nature and how much is nurture is hard to say - as it is in humans.

I think the love of a cat is based on many things. A lot of people say, "The cat only likes you because you feed it", and while I'm sure cats do quite appreciate being fed () I don't think that's nearly all of it. There's trust involved - and some cats trust people easily (like my old Dishrag). Others don't. For some trust comes naturally (and sometimes only with certain humans), for others it needs work.

I'm sure a lot of things factor into it. And you could translate that to "the cat is only being self-serving". But is there truly a type of love that isn't self-serving? I'm perfectly willing to admit that I love everyone I love because I like being around them, because they make me happy, because it's not as good when they're not around.

It's maybe not the same type of love humans experience between humans, but I think it qualifies as love, yes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
14-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #12

I think my two love me....even tho Mau Mau has only been home with us since Monday last x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
14-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #13

Misty always looks pleased to see me so I think she loves me, whereas Chloe couldnt care less if I was around or not, so who knows!!! (I am working on her though so maybe one day....)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #14

Yes they do, based on my own interaction with the three cats I've had since I've been an adult; Archie, Oscar and Cleo. I say Yes they do. And all of mine are moggies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
15-04-2006, 10:33 PM   #15

I think that cats can definitely love their owners. Most of my cats have been rescue and I have noticed that as they settle in and become more used to us they will follow us and generally become very loving. We have 4 cats and they all have such differing personalities; Misty (the Birman) is definitely more independent than the mogs and tends to 'use' the house as a hotel with a bit of love & affection thrown in when HE feels like it! The others adore company and crave love and affection and a comfy lap. Roise perfers my daughter and I, Misty favours my son and Sidney & Sasha love us all!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
16-04-2006, 01:32 AM   #16

yes i do think cat love us

as you all know i have 3 kittens here the second i go to sit down and watch a bit of TV the 3 boys make a bee line for me. they might be playing or feeding off mum or even sleeping with mum but they will come and sit on me. 1 of the boys is a little shy and he still likes to be next to me (and the kids)
yes i do feed them and i only have to call dinner and the 3 are there in 10 seconds flat but to watch 3 kittens slowly walk from mum 1 at a time and come and sit by me is great (its not cos i am warmer then her cos MC like to be cool i have 5 draught excluders ((SP?)) lol) and as soon as mum notices that she is on her own up she comes and sites right next to me.
i cant remember the last time i went to the loo alone. cos they love us

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
16-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #17

I think this photo says a lot!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #18

Awwww bless them.....lovely pic!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
16-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #19

It's is a relationship, just like a human relationship, only not quite for the same reasons. How many exes have you wondered if it was just the habit that kept them there? Or the food, comfort etc.?
Some cats you bond with. Deep, soul-mate type bonding. Some are very good friends. Some see you as part of the furniture. You have clingy = good relationships and clingy = bad, or the safe, cosy, pervasive total trust you also get between (some) people who have spent decades together. It depends on the person and the cat involved.

Catsey Junior

02-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #20

When I went to university, my family had 2 cats. One of the cats was not bothered at all, but the other one pined for me and lost weight for a while. We were really worried about him! So I think, yes, they do love their owners, but, like people show it in different ways.

Oh, and both my cats were moggies