Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
27-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #21

Re: I have an allotment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Thanks everyone I will take my camera with me on Saturday when we go to have a look.

One question - what size plot would be considered 'too small to bother with'? Or do you just adapt your crop choice/diversity to work with what you have?

I have been sent an ordnance survey copy and the map is 1:1100 . . . the plot is about a CM square on the map, (scrabbles for calculator) so by my apalling maths that makes it about 11M x 11M? Does that sound right? Surely it can't be 1.1M x 1.1M (see how number-blind I am )
11squ m would be really good size. I think my friend in London's is about 8m x 6m and that is quite big.

If it is 11m squ you'd have loads of space to divide up and to have shed etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
27-11-2008, 11:40 PM   #22

Oh how exciting Yola, there are allotments right near my house and I have been on the waiting list for one since April so i'm a tad jealous but best of luck with it and hope you enjoy it. Ours are supposed to be 1/16 of an acre so the council website says but I have no idea what that is in meters!

Look forward to seeing how you get on!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
29-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #23

Right, well we went this morning and it's a great place! It's really peaceful up there and there is a whole newly allocated area so it's not taking over someone elses plot. There were lots of people there putting up fencing and sheds and stuff . . . I'm SO excited!!! Even poor old OH who was suffering and dragged himself out of bed especially to come and look raised a smile

The size is probably more like 8M x 8M but it's aready been dug over - I think the space will do us really well

The River Thames is just behind that hedge (and across a field) so in summer this is going to be such a fabulous place.

Here's a pic of the area . . . mind you this is a double-length plot which is yet to be subdivided. We're going to ask if we can have all of it and then my brother can join in too!!

The most exciting thing we saw was, and bear in mind our conversations on the 'Bee' thread . . . some bee hives!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #24

How wonderful Yola - so glad you haven't got to tackle an overgrown plot which can be so disheartening.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
29-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #25

Woah that sounds lovely Yola, and looks great. Having it dug over is a major bonus......and the bee's are a great "extra" you can get to do all the basics learn loads and with none of the responsibility...as such.

Wonder if anyone keeps chickens....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
29-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #26

That looks fab Yola. Just think of all the scrummy things you can grow there

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #27

That's just great!
Now, get some muck delivered and spread in a 4-6" layer, throw over some old carpeting, thick cardboard weighted with stones or weed suppressant fabric, enjoy Christmas, read your books and get ready to start in the new year

.. and ask Santa for gardening gloves

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #28

Oh wow, Yola, that's fantastic! It looks the perfect spot for you ....and what a coincidence about the beehives..

When my SIL first had his allotment he had to hire a rotavator as his plot was so hard, uneven and overgrown.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #29

Wonderful! DM's advice is perfect; think of all the fun you'll have and the pleasure of fresh homegrown produce with no pesticides, insecticides, etc. And the bees for pollenation are a real bonus! And a great learning experience for the boys too, seeing where food comes from!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
29-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #30

I'll ask up at the riding stables tomorrow about 'muck'. DM can it be 'neat muck' straight from the horse as it were??